Dog Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2.5 month old Mal. I know she's not ready yet but when will she be ok to start jogging a short 1mile trail run?

·
Registered
989 Posts
12-18months, though being a working malamute I'd say she could handle it at 12. Just go slow and build her muscle and cardiovascular system the way you would yours, not too fast because you could overwork her heart or pull muscles etc

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Your best bet is to get x-rays done at 12 months and see if the growth plates have shut. That is what is usually recommended for sport owners before doing any strenuous activity.

Reactions: Grabby

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Also check out this place. They are all people who run with their dogs (I am not on it).
https://www.reddit.com/r/RunningWithDogs
There are also commands that some of them teach to help the dog learn to stay on 1 side.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
12-18months, though being a working malamute I'd say she could handle it at 12. Just go slow and build her muscle and cardiovascular system the way you would yours, not too fast because you could overwork her heart or pull muscles etc
Based on the OP's other thread, mal = Malinois not Malamute.

They probably grow up a little faster.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I think 1,5-2 years are a safe time to start if you don't want to do x-rays.
don't overdo it at the beginning.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Based on the OP's other thread, mal = Malinois not Malamute.

They probably grow up a little faster.
Malamutes and Malinois are both working breeds so I'd say 12-18 months would be fine in either case. I've never gotten my dogs X-rayd for running or biking purposes, however it'd be interesting to know the benefits. Not sure I'd want to put my dog under GA unless it was completely necessary.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts