Dog Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are considering adopting a dog very soon. We found one that we love (Australian Cattle Dog/Red Heeler Mix). The foster where he is currently located feeds him three times a day, about 1.5 cups per feeding. We can't feed him three times per day because of our work schedule, and honestly we haven't ever fed other dogs this often (even much bigger dogs) and they have all been fine. He has no medical issues that might require this type of feeding schedule. If we adopt him, would it likely be fine to feed him just twice a day (maybe 2-2.5 cups rather than the 1.5)? Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yup....many adult dogs are twice a day...very common and no problem. Puppies typically start out on a three a day but transition to twice daily as they are a bit older. Daily food volume is more critical than number of meals. There is no precise right or wrong answer.

Pax's schedule is all over the place because my schedule is all over the place...so I have target feeding times but sometimes it is earlier...sometimes later...who knows!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Twice a day, one cup per feeding but if he begins to gain or lose weight, increase or decrease as necessary. Some people use treats during training and that should be taken into consideration in daily calorie intake.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I feed my adult dog once a day... but she's not a big eater so she wouldn't eat more than once a day anyways (I've tried). But once a day she is perfectly happy with!

My puppy (3 months) I feed 3 times a day. So it depends on the age of your dog.

I think for any age, 2 is the best bet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We have always fed our dogs twice a day. They get fed in the morning, just prior to their walk and then again in the late afternoon. It is something that they seem to really look forward to.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
We started feeding Samantha once a day, but she was so hungry, we have been feeding twice a day, and have been for probably five years. She does just fine with a twice a day feeding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts