Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That is to say, not how often should he eat but how long can he go without food without needing veterinary intervention. We are on a trip and my 11lbs intact Jack Russell is a little out of his element and is not interested in his food for 2 days. I would just get wet food but he doesn't like it at all because it gets his face wet. I can't leave his food out all day either because we are camping and that's just asking for insects and animals to eat it. He's drinking water fine and has had a couple people food items, but not very much at all. Some pieces of melon and a couple crackers. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Purely from a survival standpoint, probably quite awhile. But for health purposes, I'd say a couple of days isn't ideal and especially so if he's active and camping. But I do understand nervous dogs, and that it's not always easy to eat when you feel that way!

If he won't eat dog food, I say keep just giving him "people" food - it's better than nothing as long as you don't overdo it. Just be sure to share things that he can have, melon and crackers are good, meat would be better if you have some you can share.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He just really loves fruit haha. He's always eating apples and cherries and things. We had a vegetarian dinner last night but maybe tonight if the rain quits we will do hot dogs! Thanks for not being harsh. I have been leaving the food sit for 2-3 hours at a time but he's just a shy eater I guess. I had no idea

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Is that him in your avatar? SO cute!!

I have a dog that is very high-anxiety, so I do feel your pain. He's usually a pretty good eater, but in a situation like that he'd probably refuse food for awhile too. Plus, he has many other behaviors that no doubt someone else would judge but sometimes you just do the best you can.

Have a great rest of your trip!

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
If he is drinking and eliminating, you have a bit of flexibility on time for intervention. If he is not drinking water, you need an immediate visit to the Vet, as he can quickly become dangerously dehydrated. You might try to entice him to eat with scrambled eggs, or sweet potato, a favorite for our dog.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts