Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do you remove the dog poo from your yard grass?

Do you remove the poo before you mow the lawn? Or does the mower take care of that?

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I remove it as soon as I see it. The life-cycle of internal parasites like worms often begins when the bugs lay their eggs in dog poop. Rain washes the eggs into the grass/soil. When your dog walks on contaminated grass, the eggs stick to their paws and their nose if they sniff. When they lick their paws/nose, the eggs are ingested and boom, you have worms!

So yep, I take care of poop as soon as I can, before any nasty bugs do.

·
Registered
189 Posts
We don't really have a lot of extra money to throw around, but poop scooping is something we happily spend money on. The service comes once a week.

Before we got the service, poop scooping was something I dreaded and procrastinated on doing, which made our backyard stink to high heaven on hot summer days...and we have a mastiff mix, so the poop is pretty big. Since we signed up for the service, no more headaches.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I'm like Kelly, I remove it as soon as I see it, so for 3 dogs I scoop 3-6 times a day, depending.
I can't imagine just leaving it, but I have a very small back yard.
And of course when I take them for exercise, I clean up after them immediately as well if they should poop on the side of the street or in the park.

·
Registered
100 Posts
As soon as it occurs, if for some reason she hadn't gone during the walk. My backyard is only concrete, if I were to leave it there.... yuck. If she urinates I dilute it with water and soap and wash down the drain by the wall.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Never. We have a 2 acre very grassy fenced in yard, and since we live on a farm, we never actually go in the yard, only the dogs stay out there when I'm at work. At my parents house, right away or my dad gets mad.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I remove it as soon as I see it.
I'm like Kelly, I remove it as soon as I see it, so for 3 dogs I scoop 3-6 times a day, depending.
For those who remove it as soon as possible, do your dog(s) have predictable bowel movement times each day (such as early AM)? About how many times per day do most breeds usually clear solids from their bowels?

And, for anyone to comment: Do your dogs have predictable spots in the yard where they defecate, or do you encounter some feces only after a near miss or after you've stepped on it?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
For those who remove it as soon as possible, do your dog(s) have predictable bowel movement times each day (such as early AM)? About how many times per day do most breeds usually clear solids from their bowels?

And, for anyone to comment: Do your dogs have predictable spots in the yard where they defecate, or do you encounter some feces only after a near miss or after you've stepped on it?
I'm not sure what your goal is in asking these questions? Are you planning to hire a service, or what?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I go out in the morning after the dogs have had time to go, then later in the day. I make sure it is all cleaned up before I mow the grass or it makes a real mess of it. It only takes a few minutes each time and I have three big dogs and three small ones.

I do have about a quarter acre down the back of my property that is mostly bush and I do not bother cleaning it up back there as they seldom go down there and it dries up and is lost in the bush.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
For years I've had bigger dogs...and even with a big yard...the poop piles are too much to just leave there...so I do it once a week.

I also have no way to get garbage service to my home, I live down a long alley and at the top of the alley there is no place for a garbage can. So I can't just toss the poop in a bag then toss it in the garbage....I don't want to have to haul that kind of stuff off in my own car. My brother owns a store, so I use the store's dumpster and take my household garbage there once a week. .

My solution was I had a good sized cess pit built - a bit bigger than the 33 gallon garbage can with holes drilled in it and the bottom cut out of it that I used as a liner for the pit.

I was worried at first, that it might be really stinky, but most people could walk right by it and not notice the smell when the lid is over it. With the lid off, it's still not as bad as like an outhouse because there's no walls containing any of the smell.

It's been in now for 3 summers and does a good job in 'digesting' the poop that gets put in it. I can't use it in cold weather, so there is major pooping scooping to be done after the spring arrives, and it takes some maintenance, I add water to it on almost daily basis, and bacteria to it about 3 times times during the summer. 1 bottle of cess pit bacteria costs about $11.00 and last all summer.

But it's still better than having to haul of bags of poop in my car and also in risk stinking up the store's dumpster....most of the garbage in it is mostly flooring scraps, carpet, vinyl, lumber/sub-flooring scraps, and waste paper from the office...etc...

Stormy

·
Registered
437 Posts
It all depends on the situation. When I was living in an apartment I picked Bandit's up whenever I could, I would've picked it up 100% of the time but he had this weird habit of crawling on top of a bush to poop, and I'm not picking it out of a bush. At the house I live in now we don't worry about it, mostly because Bandit's poops are in much better shape since his diet change, and also because I live in a ridiculously rainey area of Florida and it all gets washed away pretty frequently.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
To learn. I've never owned a dog. Sure, dogs are different and the answers some provide may not be applicable to a dog I adopt. But people can still choose to comment about their experiences with their own dogs.
I think that is really a smart thing to do.
And you are right, dogs (and their people) are all different. But for me, immediate cleanup because I have such a tiny area is a good idea. The only time that I wait is their first daily trip into the back yard generally around 4 AM, it is still dark so I wait until I can see (around 6:15AM) to do the first pickup.
They do have their favorite spots but the yard being so small, it is not a big deal to scope out the whole yard each time.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I Dont because I trained my dogs not to poop in the yard. Since I take them for walks at least 2x a say, they poop on their walks and I pick it up and toss it in the nearest trash bin.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I clean up as soon as they go (the have a habit of going in tall grass / weeds, so if I don't get it then it will never be found until someone steps in it). At night or in the rain or snow, my husband will leave it until it's a better time.

Mine have generally predictable time and locations. My younger dog will walk along and squat with no ceremony, but it's usually in the same spot, similar times of day. My older dog will circle and pace and circle and pace for several minutes so there's no missing her.

Typically the go at the same times each day - morning and evening - but my older one will sometimes skip and my younger one will sometimes go an extra time.

I should add that they're never outside unsupervised, so there's little opportunity for them to go unnoticed.

It's good that you're asking questions and preparing yourself to adopt! Good luck!

·
Registered
680 Posts
I have 3 pups all 8 pounds and under. I 'scoop' every day. I use a sandwich size ziplock turned inside out. Their poops are very small and I can get all three in one bag. (Actually I could get more than a day's worth in one bag). Anyhow, I pick up the poop for the day, seal ziplock, and toss in our trash bin.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I go out two to three times a day and pick it up, usually right away if I see it, but not always. My dogs are fed raw, so their poops crumble and disappear anyway. :p

Reactions: BadDogGoHome
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.