Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I'm giving my 5 month old Aussie around 3/4 a week. These are larger things like pig tails, lamb shanks, chicken drumsticks. The last time I gave him a wing, he tried to swallow it whole so I tend to avoid the smaller stuff.

So how often and what do you give your dogs? Also is there any sort of raw meaty bones should I be avoiding?

·
Registered
572 Posts
I feed PMR so both dogs and my cat get them daily.

Try to avoid weight bearing bones from large animals like cattle as those are hard and often referred to as "wreck" bones as they have a higher chance of breaking teeth.

Other than that my dogs love ribs and my cat love all bones from chicken, turkey and rabbit

·
Registered
70 Posts
One of my dogs is on a raw diet so he gets bones every day. He's about a 40 pound spaniel mix. I've given him oxtails, pork ribs, beef ribs, chicken drumsticks and thighs, pork chops, lamb chops. Things I don't give him are things I notice he doesn't seem to do well with, which so far has been pork shank bones (tho he managed to crack it open and eat the marrow) and neck bones, both beef and pork.

Anything my spaniel can't eat, I give to my labrador, she's a power chewer. She's not on raw but I give her meaty bones about 3 times a week. Oxtails, meaty neck bones, knuckle bones. She cut her gum once on a shank, so I don't get those anymore and I try to stay away from the knuckle bones cause they tend to have shank attached. Both my dogs, if they can't chew through something, they will abandon it.

I don't feed chicken much one, cause it's probably the dogs' least favorite and two, cause they're softer bones. Oxtails are much better for chewing, IMO.

·
Registered
917 Posts
My dogs get at least some bone almost every day. But bigger bones probably 3 or 4 times a week. The only bones you really need to be careful on is weight bearing bones of large animals like cattle. But that is also know thy dog. My dane can get those bones because she isn't a power chewer and only nibbles the ends. But my lab/pointer will try to crack those bones so he can't have them. I'll let him have marrow bones but take them away if he starts to really chew them.

Each dog is different, some can handle more bone than others. If your dog's stool gets very hard than back off the bone. Too loose up the bone.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
raw diet here and because she on pre made prey model raw and teh rabbit pieces being costly 28 NZD a kg now and then but going to see how does with possum piece soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
He gets meaty bones every night with dinner. I wish I could get him to chew on rec bones but he's never been much of a chewer.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Due to the cats and dogs dinner company i order from not being nice to me and lack of trust amongst stuffy emails and not so good service with me im changing companies where you feed the prey model raw pieces seperately with bone in being part of it. Need to work out when to give her bone in , organs, muscle meats etc yet but placed last order with above company so she has enough food over christmas for me to work out what she will need from new company.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts