Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering. Mikey is really low maintenance. Like, we brush him every few weeks-low maintenance. He gets bathed quite a bit (twice a month on average) so that may be part of it. But he also has almost no undercoat. :D

My parent's dog needs to be brushed every day-she has this insanely thick undercoat and is constantly shedding (Except when she is on a round of prendisone-for some reason that halts her shedding)

I was speaking to this lady at the dog park yesterday-she has three old english sheepdogs!! Cool! They were so cute! Until I heard her say she spends 4-6 hours a week brushing them :eek: OMG no way!! LOL

So how much time do you spend brushing?

·
Banned
557 Posts
I brush mine daily out of habit. Gives me a chance to look at the skin etc. But really I would only have to do it like every 4 days.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
depends on my mood...i try to stay on top of it since my roommate has allergies. i don't give him many baths tho...he jumps in the lake a lot and we do baby wipe baths whenenver i brush him...

oh and i use one of those "furbuster" things...works really well, he has short hair w a very dense/soft undercoat....so it realy helps to keep the shedding down...with 1 big dog and 3 cats, our house is pretty hairy most of the time...

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Furbuster?
is it like the furminator?

Maybe we should add that to the question-how often do you brush and what's your fav brush :)

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Furbuster?
is it like the furminator?

Maybe we should add that to the question-how often do you brush and what's your fav brush :)
yep...the one i got was from a discount store, i can't find a pic so i think it must have been discontinued...(it is the bamboo/furbuster brand, and it only cost $3-$4!!!!! big lots in case anyone wants to rush out and look for it)
anyway it is like just the top part w/o the handle and fits very comfortably in your hand...we have the handle one for the cats....love it love it love it!
Okay then adding to the question- its daily out of habit, and I use a pin brush.
isn't a pin brush specific to those long/silky breeds like...hm let me think...borzoi..lol...????? or am i thinking of something different?

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Banned
557 Posts
LOL .. Yea.. to penetrate to the under coat and made for long coats. For my shepherds I used alot a slicker or a horse curry brush.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I don't brush enough LOL should brush a couple times a week or even once a week. Harvick gets furminated quite often tho, he seems to shed 24/7

·
Banned
557 Posts
See.. here is the joke.. a long haired dog does not shed as much as a short haired dog. I have had both.. I swear my shepherds or dobies left a ring or more hair than my Borzoi ever did! Just because its long hair does not mean a shed and I have noticed a short haired breed sheds more as a Borzoi the coat grows length with age...

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I never do. I probably should occasionally with the curry comb i have to get some circulation going throughout her skin, but I don't. I'm CONSTANTLY scratching her with my fingers and nails all over her body though, which drops her hair a lot so that is my version of brushing, she enjoy the itches and I enjoy itching her. :p

~MSE

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
my dogs don't really shed...maybe once a year or so I get a little bit of hair out of them...the rest of the time its pretty pointless...I use a furminator.

I brush the cats and the pom weekly...the pom for tangles and the cats because they like it ;)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can totally buy that Borzoi-I have a lionhead rabbit (angora fur-very long and fluffy) and she sheds big fur but not nearly as much as my other three :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow, I own a Pom/Chihuahua cross. She doesn't shed too much, her hair is coarse and straight though, not fluffy xD She gets brushed with a regular hair brush every once in a while.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Scotty gets it fairly often because he asks for it. He's my reminder. Rascal gets it after Scotty if he'll sit still long enough. So far, I haven't brushed Tigger but I think she's past due.

My shelties don't shed NEARLY as much as I expected them to and nothing like the short haired cats do.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I should brush Kelsey everyday. I love the Furminator!!!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
this isn't for brushing but i thought i'd throw it in here so that anyone who has a "hairy" house can see, i use this to clean up hair off the furniture:

i've tried all sorts of things, from the sticky lint rollers to weird velcro things and something that looked like a squeegee, but this thing really actually works!

anyway, just thought i'd share...:)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I've been really skeptical about the pledge fabric sweeper after I saw the commercial.
Interesting to see that you gave it a good review. I'm always skeptical of products specifically made for pets though.

~MSE

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
yeah, i was skeptical too...but it only cost like $5-$6 so i thought i'd give it a try...it works...my only complaint is that it is soooo wasteful! once it's full you just throw the whole thing away, but if you look at it, it could have easily been made re-usable...i understand why they made it this way, but that is no excuse!

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Banned
557 Posts
this isn't for brushing but i thought i'd throw it in here so that anyone who has a "hairy" house can see, i use this to clean up hair off the furniture:

i've tried all sorts of things, from the sticky lint rollers to weird velcro things and something that looked like a squeegee, but this thing really actually works!

anyway, just thought i'd share...:)
I LOVE mine! Its perfect especially for these silky coats to get the hair off linen couches. Not to mention- dog beds etc. If you use a toothpick between the rollers after wards, it cleans the hair out instead of disposing of it.

·
Registered
620 Posts
This is GREAT to know. I've been seeing it on TV and wondered if it worked even a little bit. My 2 short haired cats seem to just THROW their hair everywhere! Even if I have to throw it away, it will be a lifesaver!

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts