Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do you bathe your dog and does a dog's breed have anything to do with how often it should be bathed?

And a few years ago, I was talking to a woman with two Westies, and she said she bathes them in Tomato sauce... or something like that... Why would you do that?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I bathe mine once every 2 weeks - a month. As far as I know, you shouldn't bathe your dog too much.

Tomato sauce is used to remove smells that can't be removed with normal soup, I wouldn't bathe my dog in it though unless she's been in the sewers or something.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bath my dog when she rolled in manure or something equally disgusting. But as I watch out during our walks, that happens rarely. It also happened that I had to bath her when she turned from the boarding kennel with that typical "too many dogs in one place stench".

I do not give her a bath on a regular basis.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Mine don't really get baths very regulary, only when they need it, and even if they get flithy on walks their coat is great and by the time they get home it is most the time its allready dried and fell off lol, although I do wonder whether the high speed running contributes to that to?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I don't bath my dogs unless they need it. Just recently I had to bath both Mimi and Pespi because they rolled in something so horrid at the Park that I could barely drive the distance home but this is rare. I used to buy the wipes for dogs but the perfume was off putting. Otherwise, a brush once they are dry after a swim in the lake or the beach is quite sufficient.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I bathe them typically before each show though not always. I don't have a set schedule to give them a bath as its really not needed. So other then that when they get really horrid, if they do, some are prone to it while others don't get in nasty stuff.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Along the same lines of doggy cleanliness, do any of you wipe your dog's paws before they come inside the house? Are baby wipes okay to use, or is a towel better?

·
Registered
321 Posts
My dog gets a bath once a month. When I first got her I had to bathe her tomato sauce because she smelled like ferrets (if you've ever been around one, you know how bad they smell), and she never smelled like that again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Inwha (schnauzer) likes to roll in mud when we let him into the yard to potty in the rain (UGH) uh, so, when we can't be outside to prevent him from it, we bathe him whenever it rains. lol, okay, its really not that often. He gets a schnauzer cut about once every two months and I only give him a bath if he's smelly or extra dirty between grooms. With dank (my boston), i use doggy wipes when he gets funky, and just old, damp bath towels when he's muddy. I haven't had to give him a full bath yet actually.

·
Registered
40 Posts
In my case Pinschers are bathed only 4 to 5 times a year. They are prone like many single coat dogs to dry skin issues. In between, baby wipes are used.
Much of bathing has to do with the breeds as not all are tolerant to regular bathing once or twice a month.

·
Registered
321 Posts
In my case Pinschers are bathed only 4 to 5 times a year. They are prone like many single coat dogs to dry skin issues. In between, baby wipes are used.
Much of bathing has to do with the breeds as not all are tolerant to regular bathing once or twice a month.
You're quite right Yogi. My dog gets horrible dander very easily. I've switched from bathing to just doggie bath spray.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have 2 newfy/leo mixes, 1 Alaskan Malamute, and 6 Miniature Australian Shepherds.

I rarely bathe my dogs. I like to bath the three big ones during their spring "molting" (blowing coat), as it helps to lossen up the dead hair, and I have a dog force dryer (the kind pro groomers use, I was a groomer for 6 years), which does a tremendous job getting out their coat :) So, with them, pretty much once a year.

With the aussies, just whenever I deem it necessary, which isn't often.

When it rains, they do get muddy, but once it dries it falls off (yes, in my house, that's why I LOVE the house having all tile lol). The dogs who love to spend time outside are often very dusty because they like to wrestle with each other in the dirt lol but that's ok.

As to the wiping paw question, sometimes I will if they're muddy. But usually if the paws are muddy, there's more mud/wet than just paws, so I really don't bother until it's dry, then I sweep/mop the floor ;) But if it is just paws, yes, I do wipe them, with paper towels or regular towels.

·
Registered
30 Posts
How often to bath does depend on the breed and or if, it's owner can stand the shedding or the smell. Of course coated breeds like shih tzus, maltese, poodles, require it more often. You can brush between baths, but after a while the coat collects so much dirt that brushing does no good, it's a bath and blow dry or a buzz job. And double coated breeds like chows or collies benifit from a bath and blow dry just to remove some of their constantly shedding coat for a little while.

I have a standard poodle with a terrible cotton coat, I have to bath and blow dry him at least once a month, more often if I'm able. If I don't do so, he matts up something terrible. My last standard poodle had a coat so thick and course that if I didn't touch him in months, he still wouldn't have a single mat.

My boxer hasn't had a bath since I got her a year ago. When she takes a mud bath, I just walk her next to the pond and she jumps right in. Other wise, I use doggy wipes to take care of odors and a soft bristle brush to take out the dead hairs and keep her coat shinny.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I don't bathe Sparky often. Well, when we go to the cottage his favourite place to sleep when it's warm is a flower pot (the biiiggg ones) ontop of the flowers. So after that i'd just bring him to the lake, easier for the both of us.
Other then that, when were home, i'll only bath him if he starts to smell a little funky, or when I wash his pads in his crate, can't put a dirty pup in a cleannn bed =)

1 - 20 of 132 Posts