Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How often and for how long do you walk your dog?

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  esuastegui 
#1 ·
After an initial period where she balked a bit at having her walking harness put on, Tessa is now getting excited at the sight of the leash and harness coming out! Our walks aren't perfect yet (lots of distractions), but for the most part, she's doing so much better over the last week, than the first 2-3 weeks or so we've shared. For one thing, she's seeing the outside world each day and getting less and less timid about it.

One thing that keeps breaking my heart as I take her out though... All those dogs behind gates and doors, going crazy when we go by... How often do they go out for a walk, I've wondered more than once. Sadly, I'm guessing for many of them "never" is the most likely answer.

For my part, though life and "schedule" may get in the way, I intend to walk her as often as I can (at least once per day). I'm keeping my time/distance at about 30 minutes and 1.5 miles (by my GPS watch).

BTW, I'm finding the Halti harness way better than the simple collar. I can't quite explain it, but she pulls a lot less with it, for the most part assuming the heel position (except for those distractions that give us a great opportunity to practice the "leave it" drill).

How often do you guys walk your dogs, and how long are your walks usually? Do you vary location, or always take the same route?

See less See more
#2 ·
I do at least one 2 mile walk per day. We do a family walk every evening after supper. We have 3 different routes that we cycle through.

When the weather is nice, I'll also add in a 1-3 mile walk (or run) before work. This isn't a schedule. It's just if I have the time and the weather is comfortable.

#4 ·
That's awesome. Something to aspire to. Right now I'm gauging how long to go, not wanting to over-extend her, given she's a pup and all. It's also been quite warm here, so I'm going early and late in the day. But boy, am I lathered up by the time I get back. It's good exercise for me, too, and I already run several times per week!

#3 ·
We do between 3-5 km a day (which is like 2-3 miles ish). In my neighborhood we have a couple different routes, and we often see the dogs behind fences or in the window going crazy. My dogs never bark at the windows, so I don't know if I just got lucky, or if they're just adequately exercised.

We also walk along the waterfront in the evenings because we get a great breeze off the water.

#6 ·
I take Finnegan for 1-2 walks per day, each walk lasting 20-40 minutes. On one-walk days, I make up for the lost walk by running him around in the yard or spending extra time playing indoors.

He still has energy to burn. He seems stressed and amped up a lot. It's impossible. But, he doesn't bark when people or dogs go by.

#7 ·
3 a day, some on leash, at least 1/2 hr off leash--no choice, we have no fence and we have a crazy dog!!!
Not having a fence means we can never cheat...365 days/year, rain, shine, sleet, snow, maybe a tornado warning would keep us in, but I've been out during warning weather too, green sky and all--eek.
Puppies make good fitness trainers.
Mine makes me run--crazy dog...

#8 · (Edited)
Walks for Pax are not exercise...they are just fun and mental stimulation...he is a sniffer.

We do about two one mile walks a week...but get down to the dog beach 4-5 times a week where he can run free and play for 45min to and hour per session...and will mix in a bike walk where he can run along side me about once a week.

#9 ·
Rocky gets a 2.5 to 3 mile walk through the week,two of which he also gets off leash rub time before hand. On the weekends we usually go on a 5 to 6 mile hike. We walk different routes all the time. I am hoping to purchase a bike soon so wed can start adding bike rides into our routine.
Posted via Mobile Device

#10 ·
We have a collie. He is a big, active dog. We do around 6 miles a day. Sometimes more. And he has the run of the back garden.

I'm not long back from walk number four. It's local and takes about half an hour so probably about 1.5 miles for me. But several times that for the dog - he is off the lead/leash and investigates every tree for birds an squirrels.

And he quite often has a gallop around with his pals.

#12 ·
I would love to teach Finnegan to run alongside me while I ride my bike, or rollerblade. How do you begin training something like that? I wouldn't want to do any forced running now (although he does love to run), as he's still a puppy, but it would be fun to start laying a foundation.

#13 ·
I don't really ever do a normal walk with my dogs. I live on a farm and have barn chores 4-5 times a week, and Echo and Chess do that with me. It's several miles of running alongside the golf cart, and sniffing around while I work. We also have a 2 acre fenced in yard, and they are really good at exercising themselves. Reese is 14 and doesn't care to walk for more than 5 minutes haha.

I have to say in defense of some dogs behind fences, that that doesn't mean they aren't being exercised. I'm sure some of them aren't, but a lot of dogs are just fiercely territorial, and would do that no matter what. My JRT mix will bark at any unknown dogs or people that go past the yard, and act like she wants to rip your heart out. I guarantee she would do that no matter how much exercise she got. And Echo will bay, just to yell stranger danger.

#15 ·
We live in an apartment, so walks are his main form of exercise. He gets 3 walks a day, usually a longer one in the morning and evenings, with a shorter on in the middle of the day, just to get out of the house and do his business. The walks in the morning and evening are usually between 20-30 minutes. We also play games with him inside so he can still get exercise.

A lot of exercise needs depends on the dog. Our guy is pretty mellow, and content to snooze away a good amount of time. I've known dogs though that need to be walked several times a day, good long walks, or they feel cooped up. Just depends on personality and breed. :)

#17 ·
Mine is coming up on six months, so still a puppy with lots of energy bursts followed by long naps. After reading around, I've backed off the length of the walks (since most are on concrete/asphalt streets), down to 20 minutes or so, in which time we can cover about a mile. I've eased off on pace, letting her sniff more, which brings me to...

Yesterday I took her to a park. It has a dirt track, and we did a couple of laps of that. Halfway through, I decided to walk alongside the path, on grass. Man, her nose was checking out every blade of grass, probably getting every scent from every dog that's visited the park in the last month! We relaxed the wax soon after, and I let her pretty much meander. Her nose never came up. Made me think I should teach her how to scent-track when she gets a little older.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.