Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:ponder:

so i have a doberman x Rottweiler x shepherd mix weighing 65 pounds, shes about 2 years old, and i have gotten her a pulling harness as well as a wooden sled and was wondering what is the maximum she should be able to pull?

she has no issue pulling my 3 years old nephew (25 pounds) around the block

but what is the maximum she can pull?

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
build her up slowly. We use firewood, or bricks, for weight, but go slow building her up. In competition dogs her size have pulled well over 1000lbs, but they are very slowly and carefully worked up to that weight. I'd suggest that the ideal would be to find a weight pullling or possibly carting club in your area and have them help you build her up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but isnt that wood or bricks heavy at first?

i started with just the sled at first then i added a few water bottles until i put my nephew, but i was wondering if she could ever pull an adult? i know usually sled teams are more than one dog, so i was wondering how much can one dog pull?

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
how is wood or bricks heavier than a 25lb kid? The whole point is that with wood or bricks can be added to in small amounts to gradually increase the weight the dog is pulling.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
When we started our Siberian pups, we would start with an empty Radio flyer. then gradually add the weights.
Yup, build the weight up slowly, only a short distance at first tho.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how long before i increase the weight? everyday we do short walks around the block 700m so far she is pulling the sled with my backpack and a few water bottles in it, i havent put my nephew on it since last year, (she can only pull the sled in winter, so i start slowly but how often should i increase the weight? should i add everyday? every other day? once a week?

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
I'd do it once a week and see how it goes, and increase the distance a bit.

Any signs of tiring, straining, you have added too much.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
What would you all suggest as a good yet affordable beginner set-up? I'm starting to think that a sled and harness would be a great way to exercise Layla. Any tips/suggestions?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well what I did was I bought the sled at the end of last winter so it was on sale and I got the harness at the same time ( though I have to say finding a pet shop that sell pulling harness is really hard, most owners want no pull harness) I think the sled and harness cost me 60$ and as for weight I'm putting water bottles (I always have cases at home)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
When my family's dog got in a car accident and couldn't walk at the time, I had my dog pull him in a kids wagon for his daily walks.

My dog seemed to enjoy it..I think he was only pulling about 10-15 pounds & he is 22 pounds. I didn't really think about the weight at the time but he did alright & seemed to like it! I didn't and don't know much about dogs pulling so this is probably irrelevant .. whoops! :p

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
Layla-I was looking into it too and the classes in my area provide equipment to beginners.

I also saw a few x-back harnesses on FB for around 30-40 rather than your typical 100...I'll need to go find them again but they travel a bit so they might head your way? If not I can always grab one for you and ship it.

I'm pretty confident Koda would show zero signs of tiring after a few hours of pulling me on a sled XD The hard part would be containing her energy in a forward motion rather than up and down...

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Yeah I'm wondering if I should go with an x-back or just grab a more simple padded pulling harness. It would be kind of cool to have the stuff while there's still snow on the ground too but I like the idea of waiting for a sale!

There are some people around here who mush and skijor and stuff so I should be able to find stuff but it's just a question of whether I need that kind of gear at all.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
This thread has made me interested..what could a 22 pounds dog pull?
...And what could a 45 pound dog pull? Very sturdy build, smaller legs but very muscular.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I think it's going to depend. It's like asking what a 130 lbs girl can lift. The answer will depend largely on training, conformation, genetics, body composition etc.

Layla's 37 lbs so I'd probably start just by getting her used to pulling a sled at all, then add about 10 lbs and go from there. We've got weight plates which would make it super easy to figure out what she's actually pulling.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Remember if the dog is still a pup, do not work them for more than 10-15 mins to start. They need to grow into their bones so to speak.

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
I think I would always go for the x-back if I were to do it for real, but we'll see if I can get into that beginners class first. I think it would be fun as long as Koda can focus past her issues. Or focus at all while pulling something. Might be a tough call there, too. XD

I need to take a video of her in the snow. You guys will understand how all our hard work on loose leash walking gets destroyed so quickly. It's like watching a rabbit on...something.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts