Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents keep telling me that if I let the dog sleep on my bed his hair is gonna ball up in my stomach and i'm gonna need surgery to take it out. It's a pretty old rumor but I can't find any source to disprove it (granted I'm not good at data mining) and once and for all get them off my back.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I'd be dead by now from three dogs who regularly sleep on the bed. ;)

Never even heard of that rumor, haha. Absolute nonsense.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
917 Posts
That is one of the oddest things I've heard. I've had cats and dogs sleeping on my bed since I was a kid. Never had a problem. I've never even heard that myth.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
That's a new one on me!

If it was true then I'd be dead 10x over. Zody sleeps in my bed curled up against my back just about every night and has done so since I got him. I also had a cat that slept in bed with me and did so for all of the 5 years that I had him.

Now if your dog sleeps with you you will have to put up with shed hair in your sheets, and you'll have to wash your sheets more often due to the hair and whatever dirt the dogs hair may have on it, but that's it and it's the reason my indoor outdoor dogs did not sleep in my bed, they were just a bit to dirty to do so.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Nonsense. I've slept with dogs that shed a lot, and I've never inhaled enough hair to require medical attention. My sister has slept with a pair of long-haired cats and a full grown boxer (a dog, not a pugilist) in a double bed, and nothing happened to her either. That's what folklorists call a cautionary tale--some story that isn't true that people tell in order to control a behavior. Parents don't want the pets in the kids' beds because they don't want to deal with the hair on the bedspread or just because they think it's unsanitary or don't want the pets on the furniture, so, voila, hair will form in a ball in the child's stomach and the child will require surgery if the child insists that the pet sleeps with said child.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Nonsense. I've slept with dogs that shed a lot, and I've never inhaled enough hair to require medical attention. My sister has slept with a pair of long-haired cats and a full grown boxer (a dog, not a pugilist) in a double bed, and nothing happened to her either. That's what folklorists call a cautionary tale--some story that isn't true that people tell in order to control a behavior. Parents don't want the pets in the kids' beds because they don't want to deal with the hair on the bedspread or just because they think it's unsanitary or don't want the pets on the furniture, so, voila, hair will form in a ball in the child's stomach and the child will require surgery if the child insists that the pet sleeps with said child.

Look at the long-haired dog in my avatar. He sleeps on the bed with me every night. He sleeps on the couch with me. He's lolling there right now beside me as I type this. He's been doing this for over two years now, and I've yet to so much as cough up a hairball.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I think that is similar urban legend as that if you eat a seed a tree will grow from you (which I feel an appalling thought). I had not heard this before.

Your parents are pulling your leg probably to make your dog to sleep on the floor instead of the bed.

Alva sleeps in my bed occasionally, and I have also been a pillow for a cat several times.

If hair balling up in my stomach was true, I would be long gone - drained by my _own_ hair. Or is this a conspiracy and the thing removed from my tummy wasn't the appendix...

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
My parents keep telling me that if I let the dog sleep on my bed his hair is gonna ball up in my stomach and i'm gonna need surgery to take it out. It's a pretty old rumor but I can't find any source to disprove it (granted I'm not good at data mining) and once and for all get them off my back.
I'm guessing your parents just don't want your dog to sleep on your bed :p I was told as a child if I continued to chew my hair (yes, gross I know :rolleyes:) eventually the hair would be ingested & wrap around my heart!! ;) it's amazing what parents come up with to deter kids from doing things they don't like.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
very unlikely.
it not like you eat your bedding. You consume probably more dog hairs with your food than with sleeping in the same bed.

As long as you don't eat big amount of hair/fur in a very short time it will just be either digested or it will be transported out of the body the usual way.

·
Registered
286 Posts
lol, have you ever heard of someone needing an op, to remove a furball out of their stomach? no its not true.... :)

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
I've never heard of this LOL. I've been sleeping with either dogs and/or cats since I was 9. So well over 10 years. I've never had to have surgery. The body is more than capable of dealing with any stray furs we happen to accidentally ingest or inhale.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Other than the fact that you don't accidentally eat that much if any hair by being in the same bed, hair is protein and is digestible also even if it weren't, you'd just pass it, it wouldn't accumulate in your stomach.

If your parents want to scare you out of sleeping with your dogs they don't need to make stuff up, they should just tell you that dogs are dirty, they don't have shoes, so they walk outside probably step on dog poop, visible or invisible, laden with e-coli or the bacteria and then lay down in bed with you. No tall tails required.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
lol, that is def not true and I've heard something similuar. (which is actually why my hubby loves Kuma now.)

when we first got Kuma as a foster, Hubby wasn't too keen and an older gentlemen (also albanian) told him that one guy in albania had a dog inside the house, and one day he was eating and one of the hairs from his dog inside the house got onto his food and he died from it. (Apperantly it was stuck in the throat and there was no way to get it out...) Um... yeah. I told hubby that's bull and if that were true, We'd hear about it in the news every day.

So, yeah. His gentlemen friend won't come visit him because we have a dog 'inside' the house and he is okay with that. He doesn't mind going to other's houses, but he doesn't like to be bothered also. so it works out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts