Dog Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leia is 11 weeks old. Eating Royal Canin Giant Puppy which according to the description "offers controlled growth for giant breeds". As Fila Brasileiros are large dogs Ive been concerned about joint problems from over feeding and this have been feeding conservativly. Lately however I've been wondering if she's actually not getting enough.

The back of the bag gives recommendations based on age and adult size. The breed standard for filas give female weight as an open ended >40kg. Her parents were quite a bit larger than the minimum with mom at 72kg and dad at 85kg.

Since I was more worried about over feeding I've been giving the recommended amount for a two month old with an adult weight of 60kg which is 400g/day in three meals.

But she is absolute skin and bones! Should I be feeding her more, such as the recommended amount for moms weight 440g/ day?

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
If this is the chart you are going by GIANT Puppy / GIANT (dogs over 100 lb) / Size Health Nutrition / Dog Products / Products / Products / Home Royal Canin USA - Royal Canin, and seeing that she's almost 12 weeks old, I'd be feeding her a minimum of 495g, and split it up so she's getting 2 to 3 meals a day. The 495g is the amount a 12wk old pup with a target adult weight of 59kg should be getting, with that amount it shouldn't be to much food if you use treats for training. Keep an eye on her and if she does not start to gain some weight then give her a bit more food.

Reactions: Esand

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Since she wasn't quite 3 months I had been giving here the two month reccomendation of 400g. I'll bump her up to the 500.

And from the 3 mo to 4 month reccomendation Ill try to smooth it out giving her slightly more each day.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
53 Posts
the only thing you need to watch out is calcium. Too much calcium is what encourages fast growth. Those growth control kibbles basically have lesser calcium than others.

To fatten her up a bit without growing too much you can try adding some meat into her diet, either raw, cooked, etc. meat adds tonnes of calorie and nutrition without much calcium. Thus you don't need to worry too much about her growing too fast. Chicken, Duck, Pork, Mutton, Beef, Fish, rotate them around and she will get a lot of essential nutrients.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wasn't just worried about too much calcium I was worried about too much body weight putting stress on the joints but I've bumped her up to 500g per day (more than my full grown lab). She's got a bit of a stomach if she stands up but you can clearly see all of her ribs when she's laying down.

Is this two skinny, or just part of being a puppy. I remember simba went through some alternating fat and skinny periods when he was that age.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Looking at the pictures you posted I'd say that she's underweight but laying down isn't a good way to tell. What does she look like when she's standing up? You shouldn't be able to see any but the last two ribs when she's standing up but be able to easily feel the rest of the ribs when you gently press down.

With pups it's a bit harder to judge since they'll get a growth spurt and look lanky and thin.

With her standing up take a picture of her top line, and of her side, then post them with your question either in general discussion or in health. I think that you'll get more responses in either of those forums then in this one since those get more traffic.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
She does look a bit to thin in those pics but I'd give her a couple weeks at the new food ration before upping it anymore. With weight gain you should aim for slow and steady rather then fast and you just upped her food amount, and given how big she's going to be you don't want to have her gain to much weight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts