Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oops, I mistakely posted without finishing.
So, does your dog live indoors or outdoors?
My dog lives outdoors full time. If the weather had been too hot or cold I would have made him sleep indoors, but the weather here is perfect. Besides, my dog thinks our whole families safety is his responsibilty and he will patrol our garden all night long just to make sure no one dares enter! He's really funny!
I have a big verandah where he sleeps. He also has a large kennel but for some reason or the other, he'll never go into it. So we've bought him a dog basket which we put on the verandah.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine lives outdoors but occasionally comes indoors, every second weekend she is inside all day and night unless she needs to go out.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Mine is full time indoors, unless she's out to play or for a walk. she's really cool, and she spends all the time I'm home with me. I never really got the point of outdoor dogs, I mean, they want to spend all their time with their family, so why not let them?

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Mine is full time indoors, unless she's out to play or for a walk. she's really cool, and she spends all the time I'm home with me. I never really got the point of outdoor dogs, I mean, they want to spend all their time with their family, so why not let them?

Exactly!

Mine are fulltime indoor...all four of them.

Dogs that are "protecting" your property are actually behaving that way because they are bored or terrified... barking at strangers in not about protecting your home, its about making the scary thing go away. Patroling your yard is neroticness, boredom or both.

Actual guardian breeds (chows, sharpei, akita etc) are not active breeds, they are also quite quiet. They tend to stand and survey.

All dogs should have time inside with their families, I see very little point of owning one otherwise.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Xander is indoors with me all day unless he needs to go out and relieve himself or wants to go play. I also take him with me everywhere that will let me...he's completely spoiled, but he's well trained and deserves it.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
It depends on the dogs. Some are outside only for short time, like potty, play, walk, just hanging out with me outside. So they are inside most the time. Others are outside more often, but inside some of the time. It varies from dog to dog. Some only want to go out to potty and if its rain or wet grass they don't even want to do that. Then others don't really want to be in for all day.

I guess its because you're assuming all dogs are like yours. I'm glad that since your dog likes to spend all their time with you she gets too. Don't think that other dogs like being inside all the time or that they need to be inside all the time.

I can say the point of having a flock guardian is to keep the flock safe from predation for one example. The flock is their family that they are very bonded too. They don't need humans to be happy. Most dogs are social animals but it doesn't mean they can only be happy having social structure/interaction with humans.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Indoors 24/7. We go on daily walks however and go out places like the dog park and of course they go to the backyard to go potty/play at times.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My dog Snoopy , a miniture french poodle, stays indoors most of the time. He loves walks and playing fetch with his tiny ball at the park. I think it is safe to say that large athletic dogs prefer the outdoors more than small dogs do.

·
Registered
181 Posts
It depends on the dogs. Some are outside only for short time, like potty, play, walk, just hanging out with me outside. So they are inside most the time. Others are outside more often, but inside some of the time. It varies from dog to dog. Some only want to go out to potty and if its rain or wet grass they don't even want to do that. Then others don't really want to be in for all day.

I guess its because you're assuming all dogs are like yours. I'm glad that since your dog likes to spend all their time with you she gets too. Don't think that other dogs like being inside all the time or that they need to be inside all the time.

I can say the point of having a flock guardian is to keep the flock safe from predation for one example. The flock is their family that they are very bonded too. They don't need humans to be happy. Most dogs are social animals but it doesn't mean they can only be happy having social structure/interaction with humans.
Yes, most dogs are social animals, thus they need some sort of family or pack to belong to, this pack can be humans, flock, or simply other dogs, but they do need a pack.
When I said I don't see the point behind outside dogs, I wasn't talking about working dogs in farms and such, I was talking about a typical family dog, which putting him in the yard 24/7 is not just pointless (why get a dog if you're just gonna put him to decorate your yard? get a statue, it's cheaper), but it's also cruel.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My Malamute and two of my aussies like to spend a little more time outside, so they're usually out for about 3 or 4 hours a day. The rest of the dogs are in the vast majority of the day. Except of course when out with us :)
Oh, one of my leo/newfies also loves to be outside, but she loves to bark too much when out so she can't be out as much as she wants to! LOL ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have all 4 dogs indoors constantly unless they need outside or we go walking for about 3 hours. Even when we leave the house we just leave the back door open and let them relax. I have friends with outdoor dogs and hardly any of them get the attention they need. The family comes home, and WAVE at the dog, and go about their own business. Dogs were bread to be with people, and whie i also understand that ranch dogs or farm dogs do better living outside, that's because they are trained to protect the herd. Non-working dogs want attention, and love, and cuddle time, even if they don't lay right next to you. A dog outside alone will not only be more susceptible to heart worm, and any other diseases, they also have no pack to associate themselves with and therefore refer to themselves as the outcast of the pack(your family).

·
Registered
321 Posts
Full time indoor, but with Indiana weather and a Doberman, I had no choice. She's sensitive to extreme highs and lows.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UnDeadKnight1, keeping your dog outdoors is not cruel. My dog loves spending time outdoors and I also prefer him to sleep outside.
It is entirely the owners choice wether he/she wishes to keep his/her dog indoors or outdoors and there is no "cruel" option. Okay, if the weather where you are living is too hot or cold, it would be a different story. But the weather where i live is lovely and my dog is perfectly contented.

·
Registered
181 Posts
UnDeadKnight1, keeping your dog outdoors is not cruel. My dog loves spending time outdoors and I also prefer him to sleep outside.
It is entirely the owners choice wether he/she wishes to keep his/her dog indoors or outdoors and there is no "cruel" option. Okay, if the weather where you are living is too hot or cold, it would be a different story. But the weather where i live is lovely and my dog is perfectly contented.
Cris already said it, so I quote him:
A dog outside alone will not only be more susceptible to heart worm, and any other diseases, they also have no pack to associate themselves with and therefore refer to themselves as the outcast of the pack(your family).

And no offense dude, but if you're buying a dog so that he'd decorate your yard, you don't deserve to own one. Dogs need as much attention, caring and love as kids do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with UnDeadKnight1, dogs are pack animals, they need to be with their pack. Why keep them 24/7 outside in an enclosed area. You think he's patrolling his property but he really is going crazy bored to death. Dogs need to have contact with their pack and since they don't have other dogs to be in their pack, the human is the pack. If you are going to keep them in the backyard, take them out for walks. Dogs need to walk. Not only in the backyard, that's like you going to the bathroom from your livingroom and back to your livingroom everyday. You would go crazy too! Dogs that are walked away from their home and given attention are more well behaved and don't have any issues. They return home tired from the walk and will just rest instead of finding things to destroy.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Definitely indoors. Especially how North Carolina weather can be...temperamental. LOL They wouldn't have it any other way. They get their backyard time, with fenced yard, and two long walks a day(or a hike in the woods), and they may spend a few hours at a time outside if it is tolerable, not too hot or cold) They have doghouses, but don't care to use them. But as for indoors, they are in with the family, always. I wouldn't leave my human children out all night, why would I do that to my fur children?

·
Registered
6 Posts
My dog spends a lot of time indoors and out. She hates the rain and even worse hates her kennel even more. No seriously. One day I come home from work and it's pouring rain outside and she's pulling a snoopy on me standing ontop of her kennel giving me the sad doe eyes. It was really cute.
During the day when I'm home she stays inside with me unless she's gotta use the bathroom. Then she'll let me know when she needs to go outside or when she gets into trouble she goes right outside which is her time out.
So overall it's a pretty equal indoor outdoor time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts