Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm Denisse.

I was wondering on how many cups a day should my 3-month-old JRT eat. The breeder told me to give him only two meals a day with 1/4th cup each. That startled me a little as I know that puppies between these ages should be given at least three meals a day, or if possible, four meals a day.

I was thinking about making his meals three per day, but how much should I give?

And yes, I can't see her ribs and or spinal cord, but I can feel them. I can also see his waist line and a round puppy belly is normal.

Thanks, Denisse

·
Super Moderator
10,780 Posts
You can feed him as many times as you like, just measure out his daily portion of food and then divide it between however many meals you want to give him. My dog is 6 years old and the brat firmly believes, and will remind me if I forget, that he should be fed breakfast, lunch, dinner, and before bedtime snack.

Since he is doing well on the 1/2 cup of food per day then it's O.K. to keep feeding him that amount. Keep an eye on his body condition, and if he seems to be losing weight, or he seems to be hungry at night, give him another 1/8 to 1/4 of a cup.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts