Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, let me just say this, my husband loves our dogs, and they love him back, but here is the thing. We just got a GPS tracker for my husbands new dog and he used it the other day, and the thing recorded 43 miles of ground covered by the dog, my husband and I were astonished, because he says that the dog has outrun this many times. That said the running is all of the dogs choosing, in an open park setting. My husband said that he hiked about maybe 7 miles and the dog just runs circles around him the entire time. So is this normal? The dog is just doing what it wants, but this is astonishing to me.

?????

·
Registered
316 Posts
If your dog is over a year, at a healthy weight, doesn't have any health problems, and is running off-leash (and not on pavement), then there's nothing to worry about.

·
Banned
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If your dog is over a year, at a healthy weight, doesn't have any health problems, and is running off-leash (and not on pavement), then there's nothing to worry about.
That is what my husband says, but he also says that the dog might have run twice this much on a couple of trips. Without the GPS we would not have known. Sheesh a hundred miles day, is this dog nuclear powered or what?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Holy cow! What a dog. I've heard of a dog I know going for 3 x 1 hour long runs with it's owners and still being up for more.

I guess as long as your dog is happy and healthy and willing....let're rip! Part of your description of the go-go-go-ness made we wish we got a GSP...and on the other than, I'm glad we didn't as this one pup has enough energy for me for now.

As a hunting dog, GSPs are bred to be able to go and go and go (and love it). Good on you for keeping this doggy so active!

·
Registered
502 Posts
My one year old beagle/rott does the same thing. I go on trail rides and she runs through the woods, back and forth and all around us the whole time. I swear she never slows down no matter how long we go. Some dogs just have a ton of stamina, if he's healthy i wouldn't worry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.