Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, I'm currently fostering a 4 month old doberman puppy for a rescue group in my area. I've never owned a puppy before, I adopted my dog when he was two. Can someone tell me how much playtime a 4 month old pup should get each day?

I take her out every two hours for a potty break, since she is not housebroken yet. When I am not playing with her I put her in our bathroom since it the easiest room to puppy proof, I crate her at night. Right now she gets an hour of playtime in the morning, and then little half hour spurts of play and training the rest of the day, usually when she goes out for potty breaks. So she gets maybe 3 hours total of playing and running around the house and yard. Is this normal? Every time I put her back in the bathroom she cries and I feel horrible, like I'm not giving her enough attention. She is very hyper, and my other dog I think has had enough of her! He's good around her, but he's older and she even wears him out.

I was just curious what other peoples schedule for their pups are to make sure I'm doing this right.

Thanks!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Welcome to the Dog Forum Luv4Rusty! I think that it is great the you are fostering this little pupster! I wish I could get in three hours of play time with my crew! I think you are doing great.
Although, have you considered an expen or another area that might work to keep her when she is not in her crate? The only concern I have with the bathroom, is that she might be too isolated. Have you considered her being out with you when your home and then at night and while you are gone, she would be crated? Having her out will also help you to teach her the proper way to interact with a family and get rules and etiquette learned that she will need in life.
Best of luck to you in fostering her!
Cheers!
GG

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks GeorgieGirl:)

That is a good idea to keep her out in the house, I started to try that yesterday. At first she runs around for about an hour so it was really hard to keep after her. I figured she eventually has to get tired, so I waited. It took her a while but she eventually layed on the floor and started chewing her bone. It was nice to see her finally relax!! She still has accidents on the carpet (we're renting, so I scrub the stain like crazy when it happens) I stopped putting her in the bathroom, she seems to settle down better in her crate. So I let her out for about two hours intervals for now, I aim for her to have about 6-8 hours out in the house each day. She does have much better house manner then before - minus the piddles on the carpet:p

·
Registered
303 Posts
That's terrific that she settles in her crate better and she is relaxing. That is a very good start. I think that once she is used to bring with you more and that you can interact with her, you will learn her "tell" or she will develop one when she needs to go outside. She sounds really smart so hopefully she'll but two and two together real quick!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You were right, today for the first time she went to the door and whined to go out. I let her out and she peed right away. I know it doesn't sound like much, but it's huge since it's the first time she did it! I'm sure she will still have some accidents, but we are on the right track. Thanks for your advice:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts