Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

So, it's no secret I love training my dogs (and other people's dogs too!). I find there is always something I could be working on, whether it is obedience, sport-related, or fun tricks. My husband just bought me a new camcorder for recording my training sessions so I can a) watch my mechanics and timing and b)I'll need it when I take the KP Dog Training program since you need to submit footage. With all my excitement, I've been doing quite a bit of training, which got me thinking that maybe I'm over-training.

Some background:

-Two dogs, trained individually (the one who isn't working is either in a crate, or on their mat/down-stay)
-Heidi is 6 months, Levi is a few months over a year old
-Training sessions range from between 5-20 minutes depending on the behavior
-They each go to class once a week for an hour (Levi actually is going to be my demo-dog for teaching, so he'll go a little more often, like 3 times a week, even though he won't be working the whole time)
-Heidi gets mainly just obedience, and a few cute tricks like paw, go around etc.
-Levi is doing jump grids, advanced obedience, lots of tricks, and dog-sport specific behaviors
-The training sessions happen 4 or 5 times a day.

Things I've noticed:
-They're tired a lot! You'd never guess that they are two "crazy" breeds. Which makes me think I'm over-working them.
-They are always wanting more when we are training. Heidi in particular seems to absolutely THRIVE in training.

So I guess my question is, am I over-doing it? Should I be more relaxed, especially with Heidi? Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Crazy breeds are only known as crazy because they aren't getting enough exercise. Most sheep dogs work and nap all day in cycles. A dog who is unhappy will start to refuse to do things. A "working" sheepdog will seem to sleep 90% of the day.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crazy breeds are only known as crazy because they aren't getting enough exercise. Most sheep dogs work and nap all day in cycles. A dog who is unhappy will start to refuse to do things. A "working" sheepdog will seem to sleep 90% of the day.
Both of them do have a very good off-switch. If we're not training, they might be wrestling with each other for a bit, but other than that they're sleeping. Maybe I'm worrying about it too much.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Tired dogs are good dogs! :)

Based off of your posts on here, I think you know your dogs well know to know if they are being worked too hard. I would say as long as they still seem eager to train and are getting a bunch of sleep/relaxing time your schedule is probably fine.

Tucker is the same, not a high energy breed, but he's usually very focused and always wants more when we're doing training stuff or are in class. Except for 1 time when he really didn't want anything to do with it and it was noticeable to me and the trainer, so for that class we just took it easy, did a bunch of stuff he had already nailed and added a lot of play, tug, and pets into the session. Mostly just listening to what the trainer had to say about the other dogs and making mental notes. The next day he was back to his normal self when training.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Both of them do have a very good off-switch. If we're not training, they might be wrestling with each other for a bit, but other than that they're sleeping. Maybe I'm worrying about it too much.
I'd say you're in the category of worrying too much. My guess is that they don't sleep very deeply mostly the time they "asleep". Being shepherds they are built for 30minutes-60 minutes of vigorous activity followed by nice "one eye open" sleepy times.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts