Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have a four month old husky/lab mix named Grimmlok. We're currently going to manners classes, and he's already completed his puppy training classes. He's fairly well behaved, considering the breed mix. However, I'm a little confused recently as to how much exercise is too much. We go on 1-2 mile walks every day, usually pretty flat trails. He will come home and still seems to have a bunch of energy, then eventually chills out and takes a nap. I'm interested in taking him hiking when he's older, but from what I've read we need to slowly condition him to that level. I'm worried about over working him, and causing injuries to his bones/joints. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
You can let him play as much as he wants, and walk as far as he likes. Try and walk him as much as possible on soft surfaces so that you do not damage his growth plates, in other words try to keep him from walking only on concrete and asphalt. He shouldn't be going running, or doing dog sports until he is a year old, again because you do not want to damage his growth plates. If the growth plates get damaged it will lead to orthopedic problems.

Here's some more info on it:
https://puppyculture.com/appropriate-exercise.html
How to Prevent Angular Limb Deformity in Puppies
Puppy exercise and growth plate development | Pets4Homes

Reactions: Bananahater4life

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I understand the risk of hurting his growth plates. I guess where I'm most confused is when we get home and he still seems to have lots of energy; is it adrenaline or is he wanting to exercise more? Sometimes I wish I spoke puppy.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Thank you! I understand the risk of hurting his growth plates. I guess where I'm most confused is when we get home and he still seems to have lots of energy; is it adrenaline or is he wanting to exercise more? Sometimes I wish I spoke puppy.
You're welcome!

What I used to do, way, way, back when I had a puppy, was take him on the walks then once we got home play with him for around 5 or 10 minutes. That kept him from associating going back inside with the end of fun times, and tired him out a bit more. My puppy was very hyper and he'd generally keep going as long as I let him. That might be how your puppy is.

A sign that they need a nap is when you know they've had a lot of exercise but they are still acting frenzied. It's sort of like a toddler claiming they are not tired, but becoming cranky and extra naughty. When that happens with a puppy it's best to put them in their crate or safe area like an exercise pen, with a nice chew and just leave them alone. Generally after a few minutes they'll fall asleep.

Reactions: Bananahater4life
1 - 4 of 4 Posts