Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just adopted a 6 month old Lab/Pointer Mix. She has bounced around from her original family to shelters and a foster home prior to arriving with us. Currently, we are getting her used to our schedule and working on finding her exercise limit to help smooth the process so she can be more relaxed at home. Currently I wake up and we do a good 1 hour 2-3 mile walk up and down hills with some 50 yard intervals of running. At night we complete two more walks, one being 1.5 to 2 hours and the last one before bed is an hour. After the second walk she has still been trying to play bite a little or chew on the table/misc items. My concern is whether or not she is getting enough exercise. I am more than willing to up the work for her to make sure she is a happy fit puppy. We are still working on her fetch and keeping her focused on it for longer than 10-15 minutes.
My understanding is that sometimes puppies show this behavior when they are tired like babies can be cranky. Is it possible that this is also occurring or is this wishful thinking?
Any Additional tips or ideas are greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
That is a lot of exercise, for any dog, much less a puppy.

It is very possible she is over-tired, and is acting a little naughty. If she's been bounced around a lot, it is more thank likely she was never really taught how to behave and what is acceptable.

I would treat her like an 8 week old puppy for a while. She should be watched/supervised intensely unless you have her contained (exercise pen, crate, puppy-proof room).

Redirect her attention to appropriate things to chew on, and work on getting her trained. Play with her, get to know her, and remember she is still VERY much a baby.

Reactions: Cjopson

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah she pretty much was given free reign of the house with two other puppies without any direction from her foster. It's basically like having a 40lb 8 week old. We crate her for sleeping at night next to us and during the day when at work. Right now she doesn't spend more than 4 hours in the crate before we or a trusted helper let her out to stretch her legs and do her business. When we come home she eats regularly and we continue the exercise routine. We do supervise whenever she is not in the crate and do our best to redirect her but sometimes she does not find interest in them. Would a Kong with some treats be an appropriate redirection method for her when behaving that way?

·
Registered
522 Posts
That seems like way too much for a 6 month pup. And running with a pup on pavement is really not recommended for their joints either.

Try to focus more on mental stimulation and training than just physical activity.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That seems like way too much for a 6 month pup. And running with a pup on pavement is really not recommended for their joints either.

Try to focus more on mental stimulation and training than just physical activity.
Currently we try to work on her sit, lay down, come, and stay. She does get bored with tasks easily as I have read German Short Hair Pointers do. Are there any recommendations for keeping her mentally stimulated. or at this point is it really just have a plethora of toys and treats to keep her preoccupied?

·
Registered
745 Posts
You can find on dogtime.com some suggestions for pointers under dog training exercises & tricks. They base it on the breedline explaining why they would like these & how to add to the basic commands.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts