Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at getting a secons dog and i came across the vizsla and am wondering in general how much exercise do these dogs need per day to remain happy?

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
If your dog is happy/not destroying things/not having behavioural issues, they're getting enough exercise.

Otherwise, you need to do more. It really is dog dependent and breed generalization won't give you a great breakdown of the time investment. Assume all your free non-working time will be spent with the dog (including sleeping time), especially the first few weeks/months while you work on training/de-stressing for the new environment/etc. House training from scratch is typically taking the dog out every 30 minutes, including through the night, as a worst case (I haven't seen worse than this but its possible).

Shelter dogs are easier to know the temperament and needs for-I would recommend you start there and explain your desires/needs and they will help you out.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
It's a short answer but generally sporting breeds like that are high energy and need a lot of exercise. I have heard they need a lot.

Reactions: barbarapi

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
They're hounds, so I suppose they're pretty active and need a certain amount of physical and mental excercise every day.

I'd determine what you want in a dog, what kind of sport or activity you want to do with your future dog, and then search for breeds that are happy with what you can offer them.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
How much is "alot" though? 1 hour running, 2 hours running 3,4 etc
depends on how fast and how diversified the running is.
Just pure physical exercise will jut build up the dogs stamina and muscles but won't tire it out, in my opinion.
2-3 hours physical exercise (walking, running, games and training in movement (I'm not talking about boring stuff like fetch, the human should be moving too. most dogs love it when their human is engaged in the game)) plus 20 min-1 hours of mental exercises are not overchallenging for an adult, mentally and physically healthy dog.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's a short answer but generally sporting breeds like that are high energy and need a lot of exercise. I have heard they need a lot.
I have a Gordon Setter, which is also a gundog and of similar size. She is 18 months old now and I walk her 2.5 hours every day during the week and more (up to 4.5-5 hours) on the weekend. At the same time we started gundog training when she was 5 months old, do obedience training - all for her mental stimulation. She is very calm at home and has never destroyed anything

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
There was a Vizsla at the Doggy Daycare I worked at who was crazy. She ran from the moment she got there until we put them in their crates. Then she ran until she got picked up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Wow, I walk (she runs) my 2 year old field bred springer 45 minutes a day right now. I go about 2.5 miles, but she goes more. Other than that she gets to zoom around the yard 2-3 times a day from 5-20 minutes. She is perfectly calm in the house, just as she was when she got 2- 2 mile walks in the summer. I am neglecting her mind training right now, but walking her 2.5 hours a day is never done unless my son takes her hiking in the gamelands.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I used to walk a couple of Viszlas. They are a very high energy breed. One of those ones that you can't exhaust them. From what I understand they need a lot more mental stimulation. One the owner ran about 5-8 miles in the morning with it and when I came to take it to te park it spent most of the time sprinting around. So just running them will make and endurance machine that doesn't stop.

I really liked them though. Very loyal and stick to their handlers like glue. All of the ones I have met love people and other dogs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts