Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have recently rehomed a rescue greyhound, and are just wondering about how much exercise she would be able to manage. I know that their basic requirements are about 20 minutes, twice a day, but she seems to be a keen walker and we have taken her for an hour+ twice a day without her noticeably tiring at all.

I am a keen hillwalker, and while I wouldn't take her up a ridge or anything like that, I would love it if she could come with me on full day walks. My concern is that I have heard anecdotes about greyhounds just stopping, lying down, and refusing to go any further. Obviously if I am in the middle of nowhere, this wouldn't be ideal!

The other issue is that we live in Scotland, and it can get pretty cold out over winter, often sub-zero when you include windchill. Jess is quite an unusual greyhound in that she has a downy undercoat in addition to her normal sleek greyhound fur. Obviously we have a nice coat for her, but I'm not too sure how good it would be for her to go for a walk in snow or frost.

Just wondered if anyone had any experience/advice on this?

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Specifically no, however you can likely work her up to the full day walk. You're already working her at 1hr+ at a time, now work it up to 2hrs, and when you're sure that's going smoothly, 3hrs, and so on. I don't see why, once you've conditioned her properly, she couldn't do all day hikes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts