Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having food shipped every month via Chewy, I used an online calculation to figure out how many pounds of food per dog I will need. There are a lot of variables but I am curious as to how many pounds of dog food you buy for your dogs monthly? (And what size/age your dog is).

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I order from Chewy too! About every 3 months...........Because Molly is fed a varied diet of canned , kibble, dehydrated and raw.
I order a case of canned and a 5 lb. bag of kibble and a bag of a dehydrated type food.

I only use about 1/4 to 1/3 cup a day of kibble plus, she gets either 3.5 ozs of raw meats(various protein types) or 1/3 can of canned (a 12oz can) or 3.5 ozs of re-hydrated raw (Sojos or Honest Kitchen)

I try really hard to keep treats to a minimum as she has a tendency to get fat but man is it hard to resist those eyes! LOL!
Molly is a miniature poodleX that weighs 13lbs and is 11" tall at the shoulder and 4 years old.

Reactions: Lucillle

·
Registered
256 Posts
I buy a 24lbs bag every 5-6 weeks, but I use Bri's kibble also as treats (her kibble has around 400-420 cal/cup, she gets 2-2 1/2 cups a day, plus some as treats).

She is a 50-52lbs, 22" AmStaff mix.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hello!

My dog Bella is 53 pounds (a border collie, black lab mix). She is on a raw food diet and she eats roughly about 1 pound of food each day. From my understanding, raw fed dogs should be eating 2% of their body weight in food. Bella is 53lbs and 2% would be 1.06lbs a day. I feed 1lb because she is slightly overweight - should be about 50 pounds which would be 1lb a day of food.

As for kibble, I previously had her on Royal Canin and she was eating 3 cups a day. I think though that it depends on the size of your kibble and the foods recommendations which should be on the bag.

I feed about 1lb a day of raw - which equals out to about 30-31lbs of raw meat per month.

Hope this helps!
Kerri

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Reading this thread makes me realize who much money I'd save with smaller dogs..

$200 a month just on dog food! At least I don't have to start a college fund...

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
$200 a month just on dog food! At least I don't have to start a college fund...
That's a lot of money. But to me, it feels good to give your dogs the best you can. I certainly understand that some budgets are more modest than others, but those who do the best they can with what they have to spend are to be commended. And those who give up spending on themselves for something so that their dogs can have a little bit better should be honored for their sacrifices.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I go through a little more than a 12 bag from of Fromm or Acana a month. Cady is 35 lbs., but super active so she gets just under 2 cups a day. I also get a few cans of wet food and she gets a tablespoon or so any night I don't have plain meat from my meal to give her.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I just switched them back to a brand that works so I'm not sure yet how long its going to last. Normally I always get the largest size bag, at least in my case its more economical to just get the big bag instead of continually getting small bags. In my case my Australian shepherd, Sawyer, is 47 pounds (last time weighed), and my mini American shepherd, Maye is 27 pounds. Sawyer gets 1 1/2 cups a day and Maye gets 1 cup, so between the two that's 2 1/2 cups a day.
I decided to calculate (or rather guestimate) how long the 28 pound bag (largest size of the brand) will last me. I know its all subjective to the food and I don't have a scale to tell me the cups to pounds ratio for my brand of food. When I looked it up I saw a lot of around 4's and 3's, so I just went with it. Anyways, if I did the math right I should get 44.8 rounded to 43 (going by aprox. 4 cups per pound) daily 2 1/2 cup meals. Which should last me around a little over a month and a half. It will be interesting to see if the bag actually lasts me that long, or if it lasts longer.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Also a Chewy buyer. I buy one large bag of dog food a month. I usually have to throw on a bag of treats as well to put the order over $50. That feeds both dogs, one 60lb one 50lb.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
I bought a 26 lb bag on April 25 and we're about halfway through it haha... I free feed so it isn't always exact. I would guess that bag lasts an average of 2 months for my 38 lb dog.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
I'm buying either one large 24-27 lbs bag of dry or a 8-10lbs bag/box of dehydrated/freeze dried food (normally pure formance or hk). When feeding a combo of both that lasts approx 2 months and can flip flop which one I need to buy. May was dry. This month will be dehydrated. I also buy a case of canned as needed and normally a bag of Freshpet each week.

That covers my 5 small dogs who range in size fron 10 - 20 lbs.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 14 of 14 Posts