·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yikes...seems like a quite a bit for a group class...that is a little more than $21 per hour for basic standard stuff...still, worth it i suppose...i'm going to sit in on a class, but i have to call and see when and where etc...hopefully i'll get to speak with the trainer too...there are private classes for serious behavior issues, but i really just want some pointers on what i am doing and some help with distractions (ie other dogs)....i want to find out what class she would place us in...and about the cgc test...judging by some of the reactions clover gets (big scary dog:eyeroll:) it would be a good idea to be able to pass that...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Yeah CGC is always a good idea.

alot of the stuff is going to be stuff you already know ;)

so taking a group class thats going to review most of the things you already know might be a waste of time anyway. You might get more accomplished in one or two privates then in a six week class...trust me, an hour with the trainer (alone) is alot of info to absorb.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah...i'm torn...i really need to get my butt in gear about some basics...mostly stays...we know all the other basics, except i've only just started working on "heel" (we finally made some really good progress with the loose leash in the last week so i feel much much better about that!yay yay yay) but it would be great to have all that distraction around to practice with...and to have a structure of what to teach when....but i bet she would want me in the "adolescent 101"class...for older dogs w no formal training...i guess i won't know until i talk to her tho...i don't even know if they do private classes for general stuff, everything says "problem behavior" in reference to private lessons tho it would be silly not to make easy money...hmm, maybe i should e-mail them first...? ah well i have a few weeks to sort of mull it over and find out some info before the next class starts...maybe if i work on heel and stay she would check out what we can do and place us in a higher class????

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
thats exactly what I was running into...my dogs knew the basic stuff but they want you to take the first class before the class you really need. Just like I wanted minor help with proofing for the CGC and every trainer I contacted (that responded:eyeroll:) wanted me to take their 6 week class first....

I don't think a trainer would turn down som'one who wants private lessons, makes no sense money wise.

stay is uber easy to teach...so much so that I always put it off (iam bad I know) if you need pointers let me know.

email the trainer and be honest, they either will work with you or blow you off. I think som'times som' trainers would rather have the green people that know squat.

As far as the loose leash walking...CONGRATS! Thats such a pain to get right.

Oh that reminds me...one thing the behaviorist said to me was that group classes are not as useful for socialization and proofing as people make them out to be....by the third class the dogs are used to everything so you'll have to proof in twenty other places with twenty other dogs anyway.

Don't your nieghbors have dogs? I just use whatevers around. lol

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats exactly what I was running into...my dogs knew the basic stuff but they want you to take the first class before the class you really need. Just like I wanted minor help with proofing for the CGC and every trainer I contacted (that responded:eyeroll:) wanted me to take their 6 week class first....

I don't think a trainer would turn down som'one who wants private lessons, makes no sense money wise.
yes yes yes, i have heard good things about this lady, and someone suggested that she may try to work with you financially, but it seems like such a waste of money i don't have to pay for classes i don't need....

stay is uber easy to teach...so much so that I always put it off (iam bad I know) if you need pointers let me know.
i will, don't worry;) for me, it is just a matter of making myself work on it...:eyeroll:sheesh i'm lazy about some stuff, i've actually been more worried about training "say your prayers"
email the trainer and be honest, they either will work with you or blow you off. I think som'times som' trainers would rather have the green people that know squat.
i've also been worried about that...i can come off as a bit...stubborn sometimes and i have enough experience to be sort of "set-in-my-ways" about stuff:eek:...really i just have to analyze everything to make sure that it makes sense to me, and that comes off as arguing (you should talk to all of my past bosses lol, once they get used to it, they love me, but until then they are like whoa! who do you think you are!)
As far as the loose leash walking...CONGRATS! Thats such a pain to get right.
thank you! thank you!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think your best bet would be watching a class and then sleeping on it before deciding. Even if the trainer is good you could still bash heads. :)

you stubborn? I've never thought of you that way but i'll have to take your word for it.
:eek:if you aren't yanking my chain, i may have to forward this to every person who knows me;)....lol, definitely showing my sister, she will fall over for sure...:D but thank you very much, i'll take that as a compliment as i don't try to be stubborn, but it comes off that way....and i've been working on my communication skills...must be improving:D:D

·
Registered
287 Posts
$100 Level 1 (puppy basics) 1hr/week 8 weeks
$90 Level 2 & 3 CGC & advanced
$25/hr private session

All pretty standard for our area.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
LOL Great question!!!

Generally private is around 75$ standard, but there are more expensive trainers. However, I think any more money for an hour private, their probably full of it anyhow ;)

We paid 160$ for Mikey's six class obedience; For his four class dog sport we are looking at 4 classes for 80$; and meeting with her privately is 40$ though she met with us privately as we couldn't make the first two of her obedience classes.
I think she's lower then reasonable, but she's quite young and just into her business-so her prices will go up I'm sure.
She's actually a personal trainer during the day-like for fitness; and does dog training evenings and weekends-She's a CMT for dog training.

We did the full round of obedience, even though Mikey already had most of what she taught. We weren't really going to 'teach him', but to learn for ourselves and have a pro tell us if we were doing things wrong; We also wanted the social aspect of it, though we ended up successfully at the dog park one week before classes.

We learned a ton. We had thought I was Mikey's favorite and he listened well. Turns out he's VERY disrespectful of me (we hadn't noticed but once she pointed it out...) however gets emotional cues from me (choosing a woman for emotional cues is NOT a good idea lol ) and listens to Dave really well-always concentrating on daddy for what to do.

Also we went because Dave has never had a dog, and I was getting sick of telling him all the time what to do-he was just ignoring me. Now he thinks he's the dog whisperer so I don't know which was better! :p

·
Registered
2,111 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
check out petsmart, like 109 bucks for 8 weeks, if your not satisfied you can take it again for free. have all different levels of training

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
822 Posts
When I first got Toffee (he's nearly 2 years old now) I got a personal trainer cos I live in a village and couldnt get to a class ... she was fully qualified but semi-retired , and only took on a couple of private clients a week for her own enjoyment of training their dogs ... she charged £10 an hour , which was peanuts (she was really really good too)

Then recently when we got Teddy I saw their trainer (the rescues) she has worked with Victoria Stilwell (famous trainer over here) and is mentored by Barbara Sykes (the lady we got Teddy from ... very dedicated to BC's , is top of her game but very down to earth and pleasant woman)
She asked for £55 an hour (though £15 of that was for petrol costs as she had to drive a long way to see us) ... again considering her qualifications I thought that was incredibly reasonable

I wouldnt ever consider a trainer that asked for more than £50+ an hour though , in my eyes thats just extracting the urine

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hahah...he'd be like wth are these tiny dogs?
lol...maybe a little bit...but he does play w a 12lb dog on a regular basis...is it jean donaldson who says "dogs are one of the most restrained species"? anyway it is really cool to watch him play with a little guy, you can actually see him holding back all that power...w kiwi tho, he may be a pain (unless she likes ruff play???) if she tells him to leave her alone he'll tone it down for sure and he isn't always ruff but sometimes he's a big dork, Know what i mean...
When I first got Toffee (he's nearly 2 years old now) I got a personal trainer cos I live in a village and couldnt get to a class ... she was fully qualified but semi-retired , and only took on a couple of private clients a week for her own enjoyment of training their dogs ... she charged £10 an hour , which was peanuts (she was really really good too)

Then recently when we got Teddy I saw their trainer (the rescues) she has worked with Victoria Stilwell (famous trainer over here) and is mentored by Barbara Sykes (the lady we got Teddy from ... very dedicated to BC's , is top of her game but very down to earth and pleasant woman)
She asked for £55 an hour (though £15 of that was for petrol costs as she had to drive a long way to see us) ... again considering her qualifications I thought that was incredibly reasonable

I wouldnt ever consider a trainer that asked for more than £50+ an hour though , in my eyes thats just extracting the urine
now i have to look up currency exchange pounds to dollars, that's like 1 and 1/2 times????

ah well, you do get what you pay for!

victoria stillwell is in the us too, i actually have her training book. i bought it when i was looking for someone who did positive reinforcement and that was the only name i knew...watched "it's me or the dog" a bit...lol..

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
kiwi tho, he may be a pain (unless she likes ruff play???) if she tells him to leave her alone he'll tone it down for sure
shes a pit bull...they play rough and love it. Thats why so many do poorly at dog parks...they often play too rough for other dogs.

She has never told a dog to stop. She was bleeding once because this GSD was biting to hard and she loved it.

Chili literaly can hang from her face.

Totally dangerous. Phhhttt!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts