Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 80lb Pitt mix who's in need of a luxating patella surgery and my vet quoted me $5,000. That seems very high to me. I'm curious as to what others have paid in the past for this surgery. I'm in NJ so I suppose it's possible that's right :eyeroll:

TIA for any answers!

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I think a consult with a second Vet would give you more useful information than any other source.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I agree that you should get a second opinion. I talked to three vets and a surgeon about her knees before deciding to do the surgery. And then before that I also talked to my agility trainers to ask them what surgeon they recommended and they recommended the same one as my vet.

Mine was $3000 for a 7 lbs dog. I'd imagine the cost for a large dog will be higher because they'll need larger doses of anesthetics, pain meds, etc.

What grade does your dog have and how old are they?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Where I work the Dr would likely quote you about $4000-4500. That would be an all inclusive cost for the surgery and the 3 post-op exams & xrays. It wouldn't include the cost of complications; typically we only end up charging for the medications in those cases, but it does vary by client based on how nice you are and/or if you even tried to follow the aftercare instructions. That being said it's rather uncommon for dogs over 40# to have luxating patellas. Personally I would get a second opinion to confirm the diagnosis. If the diagnosis was confirmed than I would try to choose a vet based on who has the most experience with the corrective surgery, especially in larger sized dogs, and which one I could actually afford.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts