Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much did your medium to large sized dog grow after 8 months? The dog I am interested in adopting is classified as "large" on the rescue's site but I just found out he is only around 25lbs at 8 months old. The woman I talked to is guessing he will grow by about 20-25 more pounds, but that is only a guess. Is that possible? My mom's lab mix is 68lbs and was 25 by 3 months already. My friend's pit mix was around 40lbs at 8 months and is only 55 at 16 months now. I'm not convinced this dog will hit 45-50lbs but maybe? What do you think? Does anyone have a 50+ lb dog who weighed around 25lbs at 8 months old? I've attached a photo as I don't know the breed for sure (they say Leonberger mix but I'm not convinced). Thank you!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
His head seems small for a Leonberger, so maybe he takes after whatever his mix is? I've always heard the rule of thumb for medium dogs is you can double their weight at 4 months and that will be their adult weight. (My Aussie was 25 pounds at 4 months and 50 pounds at a year, and has remained there, so maybe it's true!)
My friend has a Mastiff/Great Dane cross and he is 8 months and approximately 125-130 pounds. Just for comparison. :p

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
His head seems small for a Leonberger, so maybe he takes after whatever his mix is? I've always heard the rule of thumb for medium dogs is you can double their weight at 4 months and that will be their adult weight. (My Aussie was 25 pounds at 4 months and 50 pounds at a year, and has remained there, so maybe it's true!)
My friend has a Mastiff/Great Dane cross and he is 8 months and approximately 125-130 pounds. Just for comparison. :p
Thank you! I wish I knew how much this guy weighed at 4 months. How much would you say your Aussie gained between 4 and 8 months? Wow! Your friend's dog is huge! I would love to have a giant breed but my husband isn't into it. So I'm hoping to find a large sized mix. Not sure this buddy will be large..

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
He was probably pretty close to 40 pounds at 8 months. So he did a decent amount of growing.

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
I don't remember exactly how much Aspen weighed at 8 months but I want to say she was close to her full weight. She mayyyybe grew 10 more lbs. and it was all height. She's super lean.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't remember exactly how much Aspen weighed at 8 months but I want to say she was close to her full weight. She mayyyybe grew 10 more lbs. and it was all height. She's super lean.
See, that makes more sense to me. How much does she weigh now?

·
Registered
73 Posts
When I adopted Brody he was somewhere between 8mo-1yr and he grew from 40lbs to 55lbs, but size-wise there wasn't much of a noticeable change. He got a little taller, I think, but most of it was just filling out.

That is one cute puppy! :)

·
Registered
499 Posts
8 months? My parents have a GSD mix who turned 1 year recently or will turn soon, I don't remember her birthday but she was around 10 weeks old before last Christmas. Anyways I don't think she has grown much lately. So from 8 months, maybe some centimetres in height (an inch or two). I have never weighed her so I have no idea if she has gained and how much. The dog is still a bit lanky and I know from experience that she'll gain mass and muscle tone for another year and be fully grown around 2 or 3 years. But her height should be already set.

I remember my father's horror when I predicted that their new dog will be about 30 kg when she grows up. I'll weigh her when I visit them again (it also means weighing myself which scares me!).

I checked some pics from the summer and the GSD mix does not look much smaller there but I'd say she has grown a little since. I also found old pics about 8 months old Alva (rough collie bred to FCI standard) and she looks quite puppyish and a lot smaller than now but it might be just her coat. I compared her height in the picture to my own height (I stand right behind her) and the calculation says that she is as tall as she is now.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Bri (amstaff/pittie mix) was 40lbs when we got her with 6 months. Now she's around 15 months and weighs 55lbs and I don't expect her to grow much more/get much bigger.

In my opinion it is highly unlikely that a dog that weighs 25lbs at 8 months will be 45-50lbs when grown out. But that's only me :)

·
Registered
712 Posts
My friend's rhodesian/mastiff mix is 70lbs and he's 9 months. They don't expect him to get that much bigger, he might fill out but height wise he's remained the same for a couple of months now.

If your pup is only 25 lbs at 8 months I can't see him getting super huge.

My pup (pittie/staffy mix) was 31 lbs at 8 months and shes now 10 months and has only gained about 5 lbs haha. She's probably going to fill out more until shes about 1-1.5 yrs but height wise I don't see her getting any taller.

·
Registered
455 Posts
my first dog I got when he was 9 months old. he was an Australian Shepherd mix (w/ what, we have no idea. he was a shelter dog but came w/ extensive information from his prior owners, including a photos, notes, and a long letter detailing how sorry they were to have to give him up, but he was just more than they could handle what w/ all his mental issues and his unexpected size [and he wasn't even THAT big then!]. he was bred by a professional Aussie breeder and born to a litter of supposedly "purebred" Aussies, had papers and everything, but was VERY obviously NOT an Australian Shepherd. he looked by far most like a GSD, but w/ some white on his chest & feet, and a bobbed tail), he weighed 55lbs at the time. very unfortunately, he tragically passed away at about a year and a half old. =( but by that time, 73-76lbs was a good healthy weight for him. at one point my boyfriend (who has some mysterious penchant for fat dogs...) overfed him to the point of him weighing 81-82lbs, but he was definitely a bit overweight at that weight (especially considering his hip dysplasia issues), and I got him slimmed back down pretty easily. I was under the impression that by the time he passed he was about down growing.
so yeah TL;DR -- my previous dog went from 55lbs at 9 months old to 75lbs at a year and a half.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.