Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all!

This is my first post in the hope of getting some advice on making the right decision for our first dog. We are thinking of getting a Saint Bernard. From what we read, the saint's personality is the most compatible with our life style. And we simply like big dogs!

However we get mixed information regarding the daily exercise and kind of yard setup we need. In books that we read, they say that something like a 30 min daily walk routine for adult Saints is good enough to keep them happy and healthy. We live in rural North California with plenty of forested and small dirt roads, so walks will be a pleasure. We also have a lot of yard space, but it is hilly and natural, so it would be very hard to fence an area. We have a lot of dangerous wild animals around the area, so I would not let the dog out on its own for an extended time. We are also concerned with ticks in the woods. We don't have kids to spend a lot of time playing with the dog. I do a lot of yard work and outdoor projects in the week-ends and he could be with me during these times, but during the week it would only be the 30-40 min walk. I met with a very nice breeder who said we absolutely needed a "dog run" area where we could leave the dog on its own as long as possible during the day. In his view, the more time the dog spends outside, the healthier it will be. I can understand that it is the best option, but is really a show-stopper for us?

Sorry for the long message, and thanks in advance!

Ben

·
Registered
477 Posts
I think people overestimate how much exercise dogs need. I've had many giant breeds and they always seemed happy with 30 minutes morning and evening. And i think the heavier breeds like saints need less than the leaner ones.

Lynsey

1 - 2 of 2 Posts