Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I have a question about how much attention (petting/playtime/training/etc.) to give my new puppy. She is an 8 week old corgi named Cordie. So far here is our routine:

Wake up at 7 and go potty then have breakfast. Play for 15-20 minutes and go potty again. Then, on workdays I am crating her with something to chew on while I get ready for work. After I'm ready, potty again and then maybe some more play if time allows.

I've been working from home since she is not vaccinated and I can't yet take her to work. So, I put her in her play area that's attached to her crate with some toys. She's started doing a pretty good job of entertaining herself or napping while I work.

I take her out to potty every two hours then we do a short training session and some playtime. Then she goes back in her play area. We continue in this pattern until I'm done working around 5 and it seems to work pretty well.

The problem is after 5. I am good about putting her in play area while we cook/eat. But afterwards, I'm trying to make sure she burns off some energy and I'm worried I'm playing with her a bit too much. I let her out to be with us and if I am not actively distracting her she is either bugging our older dog (who takes it supremely well) or getting into things/places she should not be. By the end of the night I'm totally worn out and feeling defeated.

Should I continue our pattern of 15-20 minutes of play and then back in her pen? I want her to learn to be able to hang with us outside of her pen without being a troublemaker but I'm worried she's just too excited when she's out of her pen. Or am I not giving her enough time to burn off energy during the day? I also don't want to give her so much attention that we end up with a separation anxiety issue.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think you are doing a wonderful job. You seem to be giving a pretty good amount of exercise and play time. Puppies have lots and lots of energy that needs to be be exercised and addressed, in order for them to be less destructive.

I understand that you're completely worn out towards the end of the day, but that's the time when puppies become the most destructive or develop separation anxiety. They know they won't be getting that kind of attention. I would recommend for you to play with your puppy for at least another 15 to 20 minutes to burn off some energy to get through the night. It really works.

During my dog's puppy phase, that's exactly what I did and still do. It works to keep her calm at night because she's tired and eventually she caught on that bed time is time for rest.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.