Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our female boston Terrior is five months old.
I’m thinking of cutting down on her feed to two
times a day from three times a day.

I would cut out the lunch time feeding.

She doesn’t always finish all her feed at breakfast
and lunch, but cleans her plate at dinner time.

Is two times a day enough for a five month old pup?

Also, I give her about a half a cup of feed with each feeding (sometimes
a bit more)

If I cut out the lunch feeding, I could increase the dinner feeding
a bit more.

Please give me some feedback on my thoughts.
How many times a day do you feed your pups?

Thanks.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Personally I would keep the 3 feedings for now. Even if she does not finish the plate, it is better for her glucose levels. I would also worry about causing bloat/painful gas build-up from a stretched stomach if she eats 2 large meals.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personally I would keep the 3 feedings for now. Even if she does not finish the plate, it is better for her glucose levels. I would also worry about causing bloat/painful gas build-up from a stretched stomach if she eats 2 large meals.
Thanks Littlefox,
I went back to 3 times a day. Any idea when to cut her down to
2 times a day...I’m carefully watching her weight. I don’t want her to
get overweight.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Thanks Littlefox,
I went back to 3 times a day. Any idea when to cut her down to
2 times a day...I’m carefully watching her weight. I don’t want her to
get overweight.
Yeah, I know what you mean, same here. We are raising two mini dachshunds. One is 9 months, the other 8 weeks, we just got her a few days ago. We feed the little one 4 times daily, and the 9 month old 3 times.
Not sure when/if I will switch him to 2 feedings. I measure out his daily ration so there is no fear of him getting too much. I figure if his stomach does not get stretched out he won't feel hungry. So far he is eating beautifully, taking his time chewing and never falling over his food like a starving dog.
He gets lots of exercise, getting walked 2 times a day and playing in the back yard (his favourite is the flirt-pole), plus playing with the senior dog and the puppy. His vet was very happy about his condition, so I know we are on the right track.
On days where he is more active he gets a bit of peanut butter in the Kong as a treat.

So, I'm not sure when it is a good age for 2 feedings, perhaps once you start adult food? You could call your vet's office and get a professional answer from the ones that know best? :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you have a puppy then you must decide her feed according to her age. I'm telling you some feed limit that you can give to your puppy with her age limit.

Toy-breed puppies less than 3 months old need very frequent feedings (4-6 times a day).

Medium-breed puppies at 4-6 months of age require 3 feedings a day, but can be cut down to 2 feedings after they reach the 6-month mark.

Large-breed puppies, on the other hand, usually require 3-to-4 feedings a day of a large-breed puppy food.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts