Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new rescue puppy (estimated around 3-4 months old) and I started her on Purina One Puppy Formula. The bag says to let them eat until they're full, but I want to get her on a schedule soon. Does anyone have any suggestions on how many servings a day I should feed her and how much for each serving? I was thinking a cup each three times a day until she gets bigger, since she's only about 12lbs. right now. I have a vet appointment tonight to get her shots, so I'll be asking then too, but I'd like some tips from experienced owners as well.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
Most puppies (not all) you should let them eat their fill 3 times a day. So put the dish down for about 10 minutes and let her snack on it. Keep lots of fresh water nearby too.

Unless you have a puppy who does not know when to stop... that is just keeps eating, and eating voraciously. Sometimes this is the case with Labradors.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Have never heard that advice on this side of the world! I've fed my puppy 2 types of puppy kibble (what the breeder fed her and my personal choice) and both have detailed charts of what to feed based on adult weight and age. Currently feeding my pup 230g a day over 4 meals and will be changing that now today to 3 meals and more food. My pup does wolf down her meals though so even if that advice were given it would be a no no for her!

·
Registered
636 Posts
I did try to feed my puppy the same way Tess just said but it didn't work out for us. Willow chowed down to the point of no return, lol. If I let her eat like that every day she would be HUGE! Right now I give what it says on the bag which is 2 1/4 cups a day but don't forget every food is different.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would feed based on weight and would do at least three feedings until a year old. When you look at your pup, does she look like she's underweight, just fine or overweight? Feed according to this.. most brands have a chart based on weight with a range of amount like 3/4-1 1/2.. so if they're underweight you would feed at the top, just right would feed somewhere in the middle and overweight you'd feed a the bottom. I wouldn't recommend just feeding whatever they'll eat.. maybe when they're 8-10 weeks old but not after that.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The food recommendations on bags are there to sell more food. I feed puppies three times a day until 14 weeks, then twice a day. All have food measured and by 12 weeks they have their own bowls and servings. I gauge serving size by each individual. I start at a cup each and then go more or less by need and body condition.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I forgot to mention I feed Willow 2 times a day now (was 3 when I first got her), 1 cup and a little each feeding. She weighs around 26-30lbs at 5 months old.

·
Registered
77 Posts
A quick way to check if your dog is overweight is to feel his ribs with the flat of your hand. If you can only feel the barely ribs with difficulty, your dog probably needs to lose a little weight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts