Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I'd like to know how many generations would it take for a dog's line to return to purebred. My Tigger is a mix from 2 purebreds. Mom was an Australian Cattle Dog and Dad was a yellow Labrador. I'm wondering if I let Tigger get an Australian Cattle Dog girlfriend when he's old enough, how many generations would his pups have to breed before they are considered purebred again. My boyfriend says never because Tigger's mixed blood will always carry Labrador genes down the family line. Is that true??

·
Registered
438 Posts
We had this conversation on poodle forum the other day as "labradoodles" are increasingly being bred back to poodles. I know 2 people with a "labradoodle" that is 7/8ths or 87.5% poodle.

When you keep breeding it back to a poodle and at some point it becomes 99% poodle...when is it a poodle again?

All the purebreds were mixed at some point. I guess the scientific answer to this would be "never", but after several generations of breeding it back...for all intents and purposes your dog will look and behave like a pure bred cattle dog...so in my opinion there isn't much of a difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information! I was wondering because his parents were both such well-behaved and sweet dogs, I was considering letting him have his own pups but since he's mixed I wasn't sure if I could handle the work it'd take to bring his line back to Aussie's (because those babies have to go somewhere if I can't keep 'em).

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
Reactions: Sha
1 - 5 of 5 Posts