Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about training sessions. How many and how long are your usual obedience/ trick training sessions during the week?

I'm currently doing 45 minutes every week day. I've broken it up into 5 minute sessions spread across morning, afternoon and evening. My dog gets to play tug, fetch, soccer or hide and seek in between each training session as a form of break. He still performs better at certain times during the day than others.

I'm just wondering how everyone else is going about their training schedule when working full time.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I'm fortunate enough to be home all day, but I still try to stop after 5 minutes. I might stretch to 10, but that's rare. I then usually give them an hour and a half to two hours to have a break, and we go again. It usually results in 10 sessions or so a day. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Loose-leash walking is usually between 10-20 minutes, unless I try to go to the park (which I don't do any more).

My guys performing veeeeery well when our sessions are right before a meal time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
45 minutes is about as long as I'd go. Depends on the dog but they will lose focus and get full on treats. Consistent practice is the key but try not to do things in the same order or they will learn the routine and it will slow training down so keep randomly mixing things around. If you always do sit followed by shake followed by roll over then eventually your dog will sit, give his paw and roll over as soon as he sees the treat or you say sit.

I usually practiced for around 20 minutes at a time during the day but stopped when I saw them start to lose interest as you want it to always finish on a positive.

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
It really depends on what we're working on for me. If she's struggling at something, the sessions are shorter. She really loves training so most times, she would keep going. It's a big game for her. I would say, on average, our sessions are about 10 mins at a time and we have 3-5 sessions/day, depending on what is happening that day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.