Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It took about 10minutes to teach her sit, and the next day another 10 minutes or so to teach her lay. Then we just worked on those for a week as well as leash walking and potty training and fetch. Tonight we taught her to shake in about 5 minutes.

How long did it take to teach your dogs basic commands? This is the first time I have ever tried to teach any of my dogs tricks, it is working really well surprisingly.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
You know your dog gets the trick when the 3 D's are in place as well. Distraction, duration, and distance. Put your dog in a sit position and increase the distance you are away from her. Leave the room and see if she holds her position. Add distractions such as throwing a ball, getting a treat, etc. Work up on the time to see if your dog can sit/down/stay for up to 30 minutes.
My dog is in a class where these skills are practiced in public settings, parks, shopping centers, stores, etc. A few weeks ago the dogs were sitting for 20 minutes while tourists roamed around, a bluegrass band was playing 25 yeards away, and numerous other distractions were around.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
5-10 minutes for a reliable sit but 2 weeks fOr her to learn down. She's only 3 inches from the floor anyway lol
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
All came to me knowing sit/down - actually i think tes picked it up just watching ratch.

i cannot recall how long stays took. the one i am really proud of is one hour for getting four paws on a flyball box and four hours to be tournament-ready - spread out over 30 min sessions.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
35 Posts
When I got Izzy she already knew how to sit. Still teaching her to lie down. This is day 2. She learned "stay" in about 5 min and "leave it" in about 3min. She's a smart girl usually! Just doesn't like the laying down idea!

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Our pups took a few minutes to learn initially, then a long time to be reliable in all circumstances.

Are you using PR techniques? Seems like you are doing very well with your pup! :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Sam: Caught on to basic commands very quickly, a day or two. He was very food oriented so that helped a bunch :) Reliability about a month or two later.

Deuce: Sit went quickly. On week two of down, but I think a light bulb went on yesterday, so I can see it getting better from here. Stay is tough for him; he wants to go so much! He'll work for food, sorta, but his favorite reward is a bumper throw. Reliability I don't see for quite some time, though.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I guess that "sit" is one of the easiest thing to teach, at least it's what it seemed with the dogs I have/had. Just hold treat, be a tree and distance the treat away when dog tries to get it, and then they will eventually sit and look at you. :)

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Our pups took a few minutes to learn initially, then a long time to be reliable in all circumstances.

Are you using PR techniques? Seems like you are doing very well with your pup! :)

Yeah I am using PR techniques ( positive reinforcement?). I bought a few bags of doggy training treats that are like a half calorie per 1, and she really likes them so it is working pretty good. I am doing about 15minutes a night and then various times throughout the day to see if she still remembers. I think I want to teach her to sit pretty next, or play dead, but play dead is going to be hard I think so I don't know ( any tips on play dead would be awesome, I haven't tried it yet because I feel like it's going to be hard, haha).

For fetch, whenever she would do it correctly I would just go "good girl" and tickle her, because I never was carrying treats when I fetched her.

It's definitely fun for sure.

How long are your average training sessions when you guys work with your dog to learn these types of tricks?

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Teaching my girl "bang!" was very easy! I usually keep her trick training sessions 10-15 minutes twice a day, and then two 5 minutes sessions as well

·
Registered
22,639 Posts
took only a few minutes to teach my dog the basic behavior... a bit before we had "generalized" the behavior and i could name it/add the cue...

play dead is actually a fairly easy behavior to lure, put the dog in a down, the lure with the treat (or a hand target if you are using that instead of treat lures, highly recommend it ;)) making them turn their head, choose one side to start, click or "mark" progressively as the dog get's closer and closer to the position you want... once the dog is all the way layed out, you can start adding the cue (saying it a moment before you do the luring/targeting) i kept a pointed finger as i was planning on shooting my dog with my "hand" gun and the verbal cue is "BANG" it took me about 3 days in all to train the behavior and add the cue, i vary session time, anywhere from 30 seconds to an hour... my dog LOVES to train, and will often try to get me to play "100 things to do with a {box}" (google it, it is a fantastic way to build a training relationship with your dog) so, i often have to make him stop and think about what we are doing (latent learning is an important element)

i find that many, many 30 second-1min sessions over the course of the day are the fastest/most effective way to train most things... really keeps the dog interested, and wanting to train... avoids frustration when they can't "get it" right away, and builds confidence

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 11 of 11 Posts