Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Recently switched my dog to a grain free better quality food, as we discovered he has some food allergies. We just started this process. He was on a chicken and rice kibble from Kahoots, and was having really soft stools and very itchy feet! (Other than that, totally normal, healthy, loving life dog :) )

We just switched him to Whole Earth grain free turkey and duck. (Yes i know it is owned by purina, but the ingredients are much different than purina dog food) I liked that it had 4 stars on dog food advisor, and was reasonably priced. We had been recommended to try taste of the wild, but the store near our home doesn't carry it. (This was before I had learned about chewy, and plan on trying taste of the wild next if this brand doesn't do the trick). Anyways, how long should we keep him on this new kibble before expecting to see results, if its a good fit? He has only been on the new food for a few days, so very early on in the process. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
It just sort of depends on how long he was on the other food, really. Whatever was causing the intolerance will need to work out of the body. It could be a few weeks, to a few months. I would say give it a good six weeks at least.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Unless a vet has actually tested and you know it's food, it could also be environmental allergies. I re read your post, and the foot itching is also a sign of environmental contact type allergies.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have gotten rid of all his former food and treats, so as much as he loves the pupperoni treats, they got tossed.

We are thinking he has either an allergy or intolerance to something in his food mostly because our vet checked him out pretty thoroughly and he is all normal and healthy. They ran tests on his stool and all came back normal, and everything cleared after a full exam. His behavior is all normal as well. Normal appetite, drinking water normally, active and playful. We are thinking the allergy or intolerance is to his food because of the soft stool, although we haven't ruled out environmental allergy.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Give it at least a month, see what happens. If it doesn't start clearing up, I'd do a blood panel. So many things internal that can create the itch factor in a dog.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
If you are doing an intolerance test you want a single protein food. Read all ingredients because the fat can be different and they also add fish oil down the list sometimes. You want a food like Zignature or Go sensitive and shine. They both are single protein and grain free foods Natural balance has a couple but the quality of the food is poor. You want to put the dog on the food for 3 months and the treats need to be the same meat as the single protein you choose. Try to choose a meat that your dog has never eaten.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts