Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We rescued a 1yr old GSD last week from the interstate.
My wife and I are happy with our one dog (‘Sophie’) and cat, and did not want to have more pets.

The rescue (‘Buddy’) is very fixated on me, he gets SA if he is not within 4 feet of me.
Buddy and Sophie have a blast playing together, it seems she is offering to share a toy.
The cat doesn’t love Buddy, but he is sweet with he.

As per my other post, Buddy has SA, is not potty trained, not fixed, not crate trained, some food aggression, seems unable to drink Water in moderation, know no commands.

We are treating him like a loved member of the family and get him all the medical attention he needs. I am working on his potty, and crate training (see other post re my dilemma).

Besides it being hard for me to give him into a permanent home, what would be the best time for him to move to a forever home? At what time would it be outright cruel to move him to a different home?

(I tried to find him a suitable home the day after we rescued him, but this it seems impossible in Houston, TX)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I think moving him would only be cruel if it was to a bad fit/situation, not a when. And he doesn't have to be perfect to go to his forever home. Have you tried the website RescueMe? It somewhat often offers courtesy posts for owners and can help expand your net to reach outside of Houston. Just make sure to be upfront and thorough with people showing interest. Or try working with a rescue, who could help support you, and might help in getting him adopted.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response.
Never having rescued a dog, this is all very new to me.
He is starting to be not solely focused on me, which make me feel better about him potentially accepting a new home.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts