Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. My wife and I currently have one dog (a male hound mix we adopted almost a year ago, ~1.5 years old now, ~40 lb). Soon we will likely be taking in a female australian shephard puppy (~5 months old) from a family member that they are unable to keep.

I'm not too concerned about them getting along. They've met probably 10 times over the past several months, and we've dogsat for the puppy several times in our home (the longest stretch being 3 days). The dogs seem to get along quite well and play non-stop when they're together.

My curiosity for anyone in this situation is this: when will they reach a point that they can be around each other and just hang out? When they're both here, I take them on long walks together and they have tons of high energy playtime together. But even when one or both looks like they're exhausted, neither will let their guard down, expecting the other to pounce on them. So they both keep it up. When one gets tired and lays down for 5 seconds, the other instigates another round. Even after 3 days together previously, they never reached the point where they could just hang out together. When the puppy went back home, our dog was pretty much in a coma for two days (and we were told the puppy was exhausted as well).

I'm sure they will be quite active with each other for some time once they live together. The play always seems good natured, but I worry that it could stress one or both of them out of they feel like they can never take a break. We do occasionally separate them if we feel like one has had enough and just wants some peace and quiet, but then 5 minutes later they both seem eager to see one another.

If anyone has had a similar situation and can share some insight/advice, it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
When we added Archie to our home Eli wasn't a big fan honestly. He was very tolerant as he always is when I bring random animals home but he wasn't leaping around for joy. At least in your situation they seem to get along great.

After about a month or so our dogs started to bond. Over the months they have become closer and closer, they even slept together for most of last night! It has been about 6 months now and they seem to be buddies.

I think you will be fine, my suggestion is making sure one of them (both if possible) have their own areas to go to and get away from one another. For example, crates. They will quickly learn (if they don't already know) that crates are the best thing in the world because they can feel safe and relaxed in them without worry about random pouncing by the other dog.

Good luck! If you don't already know about the proper uses of a crate please read up on it before bringing them into your home. That way you can set yourself and your dogs up for success and have a peaceful household.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. We already crate trained ours, and the puppy has been crate trained as well. The biggest problem we have with those so far is that the puppy tends to get tired/overwhelmed first and runs into her crate, and our hound mix wants to follow her in. I always make sure to separate them if one tries to go into their own crate (I don't want either to feel cornered if the other follows them), but teaching them each to respect each others spaces might be the most difficult part of it. However, you're right, we're at least lucky that they seem to enjoy being around each other (if we put one in their crate, the other just ends up laying down next to it). Now it's just a matter of seeing how many months we'll have of nonstop dog craziness until they settle down around each other.

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts