Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to buy dog food in giant bulk to save money

How long will it last like normal and how long does it last if you put it in those airtight containers like vittles vault? Talking about dry dog food

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it dry food? Most foods are good for months.

dry is good for months unopened but I can't get a real answer on how long it's good for once opened

and also what If I buy one of those sealed airtight containers? will it be good for months then?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Vitamin c is very unstable when exposed to air and light I'm not sure how other vitamins react.in principle each time you open the airtight container you would be losing a certain amount of these vitamins. A possible solution is to buy in a large bulk bag but then separate the bag into portions of a week or a month so that you only have smaller bags that you regularly have to open.the rest of the bag(s) you could then store in an airtight container in a cool dark place retaining as many of the vitamins as possible and keeping your food safe from mould or pests.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vitamin c is very unstable when exposed to air and light I'm not sure how other vitamins react.in principle each time you open the airtight container you would be losing a certain amount of these vitamins. A possible solution is to buy in a large bulk bag but then separate the bag into portions of a week or a month so that you only have smaller bags that you regularly have to open.the rest of the bag(s) you could then store in an airtight container in a cool dark place retaining as many of the vitamins as possible and keeping your food safe from mould or pests.
how long would the airtight container make it last then? few months? 6 months?

how long would it last without those containers by itself?

·
Registered
302 Posts
20200522_212745.jpg
In my dogs early life i fed biscuits and used to poor a huge bag inside this dog bic container i got from pet shop. I now use it to store kitty litter. Ive since heard its not good to do that cause it loses alot of nutrients and to keep bics in the bag inside the container and roll the bag up or seal the bag inside container. Thats what ive heard anyway

·
Registered
438 Posts
Exactly right @Beardogjesse the longer you store the more nutrients are lost. But by sealing in small bags and placing those in an airtight container 3 month's should be ok. We do this with parrot food that we buy in large bags.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts