Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
It really depends on the weather and how we are feeling. It could be no walk at all, a 20 minute walk or a couple hours walking trails in the woods. Normal days are about 45 minutes.

Reactions: KayWilson

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Since walking my dog isn't really exercise for her, I bike with her a couple times a day among other forms of exercise. I do go on walks with her, just to roam with her, explore and train, could be 10 minutes or an hour I suppose.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
A walk for me is anything outside so a walk round the block to a 3 hour walk off lead round the trails. Daily it's on average 45 minutes off lead, he's rarely ever on lead.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Usually about 30 minutes at least five days a week, weather has a lot to do with how long and how far. That's sufficient for our dog, but if you have a border collie, your going to need to do a lot more than that.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
It really depends on the weather and how we are feeling. It could be no walk at all, a 20 minute walk or a couple hours walking trails in the woods. Normal days are about 45 minutes.
Pretty much sums up Tessa and I. Our average is 45 min x2 a day, but sometimes we go hiking the coulees (which is a good 2-3 hours), sometimes she misses getting a walk at all, others she's gets off leash exercise at the park (about 1 an hour).

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Also like others it depends on the day, weather and how much time we have. Usually in a pinch we'll walk about 4-5 blocks down the road. If it's a nice day and I have time we'll walk roughly a mile down to the local park and back.

·
Registered
131 Posts
3 walks per day. Morning walks and evening walks are 1 hour each which includes walk and running in the park. Noon walks 30 min around the block. Saturdays tend to be just 2 walks because we go to the city in the morning with the dog. Sundays only one walk in the morning because he has obedience school then doggy day care play date.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
442 Posts
It varies. We walk about a mile most nice days (walk is for us humans, dogs are just along for the trip). Dogs get biked in the evenings when it's nice as well- it would take me half the day to walk them the distance I can bike them in an hour. I usually walk them around the block before and after biking to stretch them out and cool them off. If it's ugly out, they may not get any exercise walk, just pee breaks.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
around 2 hours is the norm.
30 mins in the morning, 30mins in the evening and around 1 hour at ca 15:00.
We've got a weekly schedule and almost every day the "main walk" is done by a different member of the family. sunday we often go together.
morning and evening are mostly done me and my dad.
And then we take him sometimes along when we walk into town, walking to the super market or go sit in a café...it's not really walking though since the main focus is on the humans not the dog.

We walked longer afternoon walks with Teo, with Sancho, because of his HD, we don't want to overdo it so we keep our walks a little bit shorter and try to walk with him on softer underground like field and forest floor instead of bituminised streets.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Minimum we do 1 hour off leash in the forest/park. Most days we do one hour in the morning and one in the afternoon but on busy days or really gross days we'll just do one outing of an hour mid day. Weekends we're usually out for a couple hours hiking in nice weather.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
It depends on the day/weather and how I feel. I usually go by miles instead of hours. I always try to do at least one mile, on our normal walking route on a nice day though my average is about three-3 miles. If its yucky out like rain and snow we normally wont go for a walk. We ocasionaly do a 1/2 a mile if we walk the trail to the pond by our house, or a mile if we loop around at the pound and go through the sand pit back to the road and back home. I always like to find new places to walk them so were we go can sometimes also dictate how far we walk.
We walked 4 miles yesterday since we went to a new trail and I think for now that's going to be my limit for now (I and my feet however very much regretting not wearing the right shoes :( :dog-cry:). My goal is to go for 5-6 miles with them, not for every day though.

·
Registered
641 Posts
It depends a lot on the weather, which seems to be in a perpetual state of flux lately (we had six inches of snow on Easter Sunday and a week later it was in the seventies). My boy doesn't like the wet or the cold, so frankly, he doesn't want to walk outside then and would prefer we walk indoors if possible, which it sometimes is, since he's a therapy dog, and obviously that means walking around facilities. He also likes to play fetch and other games, and since he's on the small side, it's possible to do that indoors, and if the weather is okay, we have a big fenced yard where we can play fetch, train etc.

It is more of a problem in our endless winters, when it is sometimes out of the question to walk a dog on those days when it's fit for neither humans nor beasts outdoors, no matter how warmly you try and dress.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Depending on the weather, people, dogs/strays, etc.. our average "walk" (I walk, while my dog explores and sniffs, and races around me in a widening circle - she's insane) lasts about 45 minutes. If it's an amazing day with no other people and limited contact with the strays, then we stay out for a couple of hours (if I have that much free time).

·
Registered
82 Posts
My partner takes my dog (now dogs) out for a run off leash for about 15minutes every morning, this usually involves throwing a tennis ball or sticks/toys to tire him out and then I take him (now them) out for an hour walk every evening - most the time I find somewhere I can let them off leash to run off most their energy.

At the weekends I will normally go for a good 1-2 hour long walk but I am going to cut this down to my normal 1 hour walk early in the day with both dogs because my new dog is only 7-8mths old and I think 2 hrs would be way way too long for her. Even my normal hour walk is a bit much so I might cut this a little too for a while until shes a little older. We have only had her a week now so trying to find her limits and be sensible with her - although she would happily walk/run forever! haha

We used to take our other dog to the beach for an hour or 2 every few weeks and will probably continue to do this once the new addition hits her 1year old mark :)

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Weather for us as well. Pins aren't good in the cold so winter is hit and miss, even with booties and a coat. We'll take him up and down the stairs and down the halls of the condo during winter.

Generally on nice days, off leash for at least 30 minutes and he runs out pretty good. At least 2 hours every Sat/Sun in the dog parks, after 10 km of walking/running, he's ready for a good nap.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Depends - people who live in a city definitely have to take their dogs on longer walks.. as you can't just open the door and let the dog have fun running around outside. We do a minimum of about an hour a day, sometimes less sometimes more depending on our schedules. On the weekends we like to go to the mountains and hike... ranging from 1-2 hours normally. Our dog had torn her ACL last year and is 11 years old... so obviously we don't give her as much exercise as we would a younger, healthier dog.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts