Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually leave raw bones available for 24 hours or so, because I am worried that harmful bacteria might settle on them.
I just gave my dogs each a meaty bone yesterday afternoon and already want to take them away since the dogs don't show much interest now that the meat has all been chewed off. I wonder, how long do any of you leave them, and how often do you give them to your dogs?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I usually leave them have their bone for a few hours. If they strip the meat I will allow them to keep it but if there is still some soft tissue on it I will put it in a container in the fridge to give again the next day. The bacteria that grows on meat is not going to hurt your pet. A dogs digestive system is designed to handle that. However, it can certainly be a concern for other humans in the house. Especially if there are little kids.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I usually leave them have their bone for a few hours. If they strip the meat I will allow them to keep it but if there is still some soft tissue on it I will put it in a container in the fridge to give again the next day. The bacteria that grows on meat is not going to hurt your pet. A dogs digestive system is designed to handle that. However, it can certainly be a concern for other humans in the house. Especially if there are little kids.
Thank you for commenting shadowfax! It is reassuring! I did throw the one bone away too, that had some stringy, soft tissue on it, but left the bare bone for a few more hours.

·
Registered
50 Posts
We recommend that you can offer a raw meaty bone or chew up to 3 times a week to help keep your dog's teeth clean, as well as providing an enjoyable, relaxing and healthy treat. If you have just switched to raw, please wait 3-4 weeks before introducing raw bones to your dog's diet

1 - 4 of 4 Posts