Dog Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If your dog has had a seizure for 45 minutes straight then is it possible to save him or is that too long and will he probably die. Besides stopping the seizure after 45 minutes is their any chance he could survive afterwards?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I don't know the answer. Were they at the vet? What did they say? How is the dog right now?

If they dog wasn't at the vet hospital, they need to be seen by a vet asap.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
That's a question for which there is no single answer, as there are many possible variables. You really need a Vets assessment, probably a neurologist.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My dog had a seizure and 45 minutes had went by before I got him to a vet. The vet stopped the seizure and continued to try and save him. How could the vet save him if my dog had been having a seizure for 45 minutes? After 45 minutes of having a seizure wouldn't my dog be in too bad of a condition to survive?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
If a dog gets into some poisons it causes seizures and that could kill him if they cannot stop them. It really depends on what is causing the seizures, Epilepsy can cause pretty bad seizures but not necessarily kill them.

Did the Vet say what he thought was causing the seizure?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If a dog gets into some poisons it causes seizures and that could kill him if they cannot stop them. It really depends on what is causing the seizures, Epilepsy can cause pretty bad seizures but not necessarily kill them.

Did the Vet say what he thought was causing the seizure?
The vet said they were 99% sure he had a brain tumor but after he was put to sleep I had a necropsy done and they said he did not have a tumor but was epileptic. He did not get into any poisons. My question is if 45 minutes had already gone by before the vet stopped the seizures then why was the vet trying to save him after she stopped the seizure? Isn't 45 minutes a long time for a dog to have a seizure? Wouldn't their be to much damage done from the length of the seizure for my dog to survive?

·
Registered
357 Posts
If she tried to save him then she thought it was worth trying. I looked up epileptic seizures in dogs and it says that brain damage is uncommon, but sometimes does occur. What happened after she tried to save him?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If she tried to save him then she thought it was worth trying. I looked up epileptic seizures in dogs and it says that brain damage is uncommon, but sometimes does occur. What happened after she tried to save him?
My dog stayed at the vet from 9:45am until 5pm that day. The vet watched him. The vet told me to take him to a animal emergency and critical care place because they close at 5pm for the day. I took him their and they watched him from 6PM that night until 7am the next day. I then took him back to the vet. They said you have to wait 24 hours to see how he does. The vet called a few hours later and said my dog was not going to make it so I had him put to sleep.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
What was the dog doing while they watched him? Can't quite understand what you mean by "watching". Was he having more seizures? Was he unconscious?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What was the dog doing while they watched him? Can't quite understand what you mean by "watching". Was he having more seizures? Was he unconscious?
He never had another seizure after the vet stopped it with medication. The vet said their is a 24 hour waiting period to see if he would get any better but he did not. The next day which was around 24 hours of watching him she said he was dull, minimally responsive, mentally inappropriate, and weak. She said he had CNS damage from prolonged seizure activity. She said he was not going to get any better and so we put him to sleep. To me the damage occurred because he was seizing for 45 minutes straight before the vet stopped it. My dog never had another seizure. Why would she try to save a dog that was already not going to make it because he had been seizing for 45 minutes straight. She knew the seizure started at 9am and it was 9:45am when I arrived at the vet. She stopped the seizure a short time after. All of this is in the medical records.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If your dog has had a seizure for 45 minutes straight then is it possible to save him or is that too long and will he probably die. Besides stopping the seizure after 45 minutes is their any chance he could survive afterwards?
45 minutes straight requires your pet to be put on anesthesia. It is not a good prognosis/outcome. Seek emergency medical help STAT!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am so sorry you ended up losing your dog. I'm sure your vet tried to save him even though he had seized for 45 minutes - your vet probably didn't want to give up. I have a dog that has grand mal seizures, they last about 5 minutes from the time he collapses to the time he's back on his feet. I'm always scared of brain damage. I wonder what happened that caused your dog to have that seizure? I've never heard of one lasting that long.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 12 yo English Setter seized one time and it lasted a long time, maybe an hour before the vet saw her. She came out of it, and like your dog, was under observation for 24 hours. She seemed OK so I got to take her home. Over the next 5 days she lost strength and fell often. I'm pretty old myself and couldn't lift her to her feet. The vet thought she might have a brain tumor so I had her put down. My point being, yes, the vet was right to try because for awhile it looked like she might survive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am so sorry you ended up losing your dog. I'm sure your vet tried to save him even though he had seized for 45 minutes - your vet probably didn't want to give up. I have a dog that has grand mal seizures, they last about 5 minutes from the time he collapses to the time he's back on his feet. I'm always scared of brain damage. I wonder what happened that caused your dog to have that seizure? I've never heard of one lasting that long.
Well the vet said she believed it was a brain tumor because I was telling the vet how my dog was acting for the past couple of months. He would not eat or drink water unless I hand gave it to him. He would run around in circles to the left and he would go into corners of my walls and scratch like he was trying to get out. But after I put him down I had a necrospy done on him. The state vet said he did not have a tumor. He said my dog was epileptic. But he does not know what triggered the seizure. When I first saw my dog have a seizure back in March of 2017 I took him to the vet and told him. He told me to make a record of his seizures and how long they last. He said I could put him on phenobarbital but said it could be expensive and as long as he is not having seizures on a regular bases then their was not a need to be alarmed. So I decided if my dog started having a lot of seizures I would bring him back to the vet and put him on the phenobarbital. That never happened. From March 2017 until his last one in December of 2018 that lasted 45 minutes before it was stopped from the vet my dog had less than 10 seizures that I witnessed for myself. All lasted only a couple of minutes unitl the last one that was fatal. What triggered the last one and made it last that long is a puzzle. I am still trying to figure it out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My dog was given midazolam, phenobarbital, and dexamethasone. Nothing else that I can see in the medical records.
That is what we start with and if still having seizures lasting more than a few seconds we put them 'under' to control the seizure.

45 minute seizure is the longest, in my 30 years, that I heard of, without your dogs brain frying. But there is a first for everything.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is what we start with and if still having seizures lasting more than a few seconds we put them 'under' to control the seizure.

45 minute seizure is the longest, in my 30 years, that I heard of, without your dogs brain frying. But there is a first for everything.
Well after the vet stopped the seizure shortly after seizing for 45 minutes what percentage chance would you give my dog for surviving?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts