Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

So, thanks to being boarded at the vet for 7 nights back over Easter, Winston seems to be crate trained! I've had one at the house since before he went, but was never diligent about training him to it, and he wasn't fond of it. He's been destructive and suffered from at least mild separation anxiety ever since he was a little fella, and trying to crate train him as a young puppy was excruciating as he screamed bloody murder whenever crated or even confined to the bathroom. I mean, for hours and hours straight. I gave in and he's slept with me his entire 2 year old life until I went on vacation this past Easter. Did the boy some good! Learned to live away from mama! LOL.

Anyway, he's not exactly thrilled when I put him in his crate now, but he goes in, lays down, and not a peep. I put him in there if I'm going to be doing work outside and don't want to have to keep up with him, or if I'm going to leave and be gone for a few hours. Probably the longest he's been in it is 3 hours or so, and he's always calmly sitting there in it when I come home, no whining or wiggling or any of that. Once he comes out he's wiggly and excited, but he seems to "get" that once in the crate he's to be quiet. (Thank you vet's office!)

So just how long can I reasonably leave him in there? He's house trained, and I have no concern about those kinds of accidents, but generally speaking, how long is too long? Do people leave their dogs in crates for an 8-hour workday? Or is that too long? I'm home for the summer now (teacher), but when I head back to work in August, I'd like to leave him in the house instead of the hot tack room in my barn. He's gotten LESS destructive as he's grown up, but has recently lit into one of my couch cushions again. He's chewed door frames as well, so there's really no way I can dog proof the house to leave him loose. Would he be okay in that crate for 8 hours though?

·
Registered
502 Posts
8 hours is ok as long as they get plenty of exercise when they're out. I leave my dogs outside when I'm gone, but in bad weather in the winter, my youngest dog has been crated and it's never been a problem. I would work towards being able to leave him loose in the house or at least a room, but 8 hours is ok until he gets to that point. I think it's fairly common.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks that was my question , my pup is 3 months and sleeps in the crate at night, which is so nice, But when I go to work he has the run of my bedroom which I puppy proofed ,He is doing well on puppy pads and newspaper ,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts