Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 week old cocker spaniel, I've started house training, he's loose with me all day but of a night time, he goes in his crate. During the day he goes out every hour and after nap time and eating. He's only been home 2 days but each night he has been waking me up crying for the toilet at 1 hour intervals! I didn't hear him soon enough last night and he peed in his crate. I've read that a lot of peoples pups can hold their bladders over night, I was just wondering am I taking him out too often of a night? It's exhausting! I'm back to work tomorrow and I don't know how I'll function on very broken sleep! Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Where is his crate? In the bedroom? If not I would bring it there so your dog is not alone. Maybe he can sleep a little longer when he's not afraid of being alone.

I think there's no too often in this age. Normally the problem is the too less ;)
But every hour is a lot. How much does he drink?

Where do you have your dog from? I would go to the vet for a checkup. It could be a medical problem. Especially when house training a dog you should be sure that everything is ok.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
His crate is in the bedroom, next to my bed and he doesn't drink masses he usually wees not long after drinking too. My partner brought him for me from a friend who is a breeder. I think I'll see how he goes over the next week or so, if nothing improves I'll take him to the vet for a check up. Your English was fine :)

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
IMO 10 weeks is still pretty young for long term bladder control. Those muscles don't really develop until 3 to 4 months, for some dogs later. As far as how long can they hold urine, when fully developed a long time. Samantha once refused to go outside during a period of very heavy rain. She actually went 18 hours without peeing, until I got an umbrella, took her out and waited until she finally did pee. I was concerned about her developing a UTI or worse. At least now she will run out in the rain, instantly pee and run back in. When its raining, she has this whole process accomplished in seconds.

·
Registered
179 Posts
10 weeks is pretty young for too long. I have been told by my vet a good rule of thumb is an hour per month of age. That's of course quite variable, but he should be able to hold it for at least a couple of hrs by now I'd think. I reckon it might be more about him being nervous, it all being a new world for him...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts