Dog Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
How did this lady actually pickup the wrong dog?

You should just instinctively know its different dog. It changed nose colour aswell.
I can understand how a business would make a mistake but i cant understand how an owner could

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I wonder if it is actually possible for someone to pay so little attention to their dog that this could happen. And if so I feel sorry for that dog, because there must not be much of a bond there at all.

I would bet that for most of us, they could put your dog in a room absolutely full of other dogs that looked remarkably like him or her and our eyes would instantly go to our dog. I know mine would!

·
Registered
Delilah- Jack Russell x Rat Terrier; Marshmellow- Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
2,825 Posts
I worked at a dog daycare and shortly after becoming a supervisor I had a situation like that happen. People seem to get dogs in trends and over a period of a few months we had a ton of adolescent labs start daycare.

The girl working the front desk had been telling me earlier that day that her biggest fear was sending the wrong dog home.

We had two daycare groups and I was handling the “low energy” group which is where the more mature dogs go, as well as some of the dogs that can’t handle the “high energy” group because they get overwhelmed, controlling, etc.

I had another handler in with the high energy group which included two of the black labs that recently started. One was a male, Remy, one was a female Maddie. Maddie went home in the afternoon. Maybe a couple hours later we get a call from her owner asking if anything had happened in daycare because she was acting weird. Neither me nor the other handler had any incidents or noticed anything happening so the girl working the front desk told him that.

When Remy’s owner came to pick him up at the end of the night, he immediately said “that’s not my dog.” I had no idea the wrong dog had been sent home because I was with another group in another play yard and never saw what happened. I was horrified that the other handler couldn’t tell two dogs, of different sexes, apart. And completely baffled that Maddie’s owner hadn’t known it was a different dog. And in those 5 hours she’s been home, he hadn’t take her out to pee and noticed her lifting “her” leg?

So I had to call him to bring the dog back so we could switch them and that was one of my most stressful days being a supervisor there.

Maddies owner, who had initially thought the situation was hilarious, never came back to daycare. Remys owner who was PISSED continued bringing him back for years after. The handler who sent back the wrong dog eventually got fired for other reasons as well.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Maybe she's face blind? The snow nose would have been a dead giveaway for me, assuming the dogs in the pictures are the actual dogs.

My dog's breeder runs a grooming salon. I could actually imagine going home with the wrong poodle, because some of the other dogs are close kin to mine. The bone structure and coloring are very similar. However, my dog also knows how to recognize me; I would be suspicious if he wasn't jumping up and down in happiness when we left.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts