Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out in my garden with my dog when it started. He was fine at first, but later he started to get really frantic/anxious even though I just ignored the firecrackers.

I brought him in, gave him 75mg of benadryl, and crated him with a frozen kong, while I finished my gardening. When I came inside, he was very upset in his crate and showed no signs of tiring out, so I brought him out. He hadn't even touched his kong, and brought it out with him to finish.

I've still been ignoring the sounds of firecrackers, just sitting here eating and watching Louie, but he's been walking back and forth across the apartment with his kong looking through each of the windows.

To be honest I didn't think there would be so many firecrackers next to my home, so didn't plan ahead.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Lots of dogs do not do well with the fireworks on the 4th. Shelters will tell you that they pick up more run-aways on the night of the 4th and the 5th of July than any other date. If you know your dog does not like fireworks, talk to your Vet about a tranquilizer. Guess we are fortunate, Samantha does not really care, just opens one eye, looks at us, then goes back to sleep. As long as we are with her, she could care less about fireworks in the neighborhood.

·
Registered
502 Posts
None of mine care much at all. If there's a particularly loud one close by, Chess will come sit by me, but that's it. I've even been at family functions with them when some have been set off, and they just watched and kept their distance.

·
Premium Member
Zoe, Phoenix, Alice - ACDx
4,351 Posts
My dogs have previously had a very hard time with the 4th of July festivities. After last year, (none of the "home" "over-the-counter" remedies I tried worked) I swore I would never put them through another 4th of July without some sort of sedation from the vet.

We made an appointment for Zoe in the middle of June to talk to our vet about the 4th of July and he recommended that we try trazadone. It's an anti-anxiety medication. Both of my dogs have been on it since Friday, since everyone around here lights off fireworks all week long. They've been doing really well. Both of them are feeling so much better than last year.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
As soon as I heard them start I jollied the dogs up for their bully sticks and locked them in their crates for the entirety of the fireworks display. I saw them look up a few times and look uncertain but they were totally fine with that.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Mine are good. None are too bothered by them. Occasionally Leggs barks at loud ones, but it's just his alert bark, not really fear.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Jayne usually doesn't care, but this year our next door neighbors were lighting off illegal mortors in the middle of our urban neighborhood. Sounded like a war zone and kept us both up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We lost our sweet Molly, a one year old Golden Retriever, July 4th most likely due to fire works. We are from Indiana but my wife is from Odessa, Texas and we drove down there and I flew back. They went to town and I guess she got out of the fenced in yard somehow, my wifes brother has 3 other dogs. Went missing at 11pm July 3rd and they went on the hunt to find her all night and today. A sweet older man, whom my wife just gave a picture of Molly too 2 hours before, called with the horrible news...that she had been hit by a car and passed away. Our kids are 16/14/and 12 and we are all devistated...my wife is blaming herself, even tho I'm assuring her it wasnt her fault.
Is there a grieving/rainbow bridge section of this forum? I just joined right now...thank you all so much for having this forum.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Forbes isn't really bothered by them He will bark in the beginning at the loud noise but eventually they taper off. Roxie is usually really bad. Usually she is frantic, can't be comforted, standing on top of me bad. This year wasn't that bad. She just had to be near me, touching me. I got up to go to the bathroom, she followed me to the bathroom, I had to go outside to insist that she use the bathroom. Other then that she did great.

I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about that new drug Sileo? Roxie isn't really bothered by fireworks in a devastating way, but storms are horrible to get through and have only gotten worse. I worry if god forbid a hurricane does make it's way to us, I will have no way of comforting her without just keeping her perpetually drugged, which I hate doing.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about that new drug Sileo?
Yes.

"Sileo works by blocking norepinephrine, a brain chemical similar to adrenaline that pumps up anxiety. It comes in prefilled plastic syringes with a dial for setting a precise dose according to the dog's weight.
The needleless syringe is placed between the dog's gum and lip. A little push ejects a small amount of gel that's absorbed by the tissue lining the dog's cheek, which limits how much circulates in the dog's body at a time while enabling the medicine to start working within 30 to 60 minutes. It works for two to three hours,"

No need here but the FDA just approved it and it might be worth some investigation by those who have dogs that have trouble with the fireworks.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Yea @DriveDog, I've read the whole site, but it's still really new. I think I'm going to try to read more about it. I want to hear all the stories, the good, the bad and the ugly. I haven't talked to my vet about it yet either (Next time I go for shots I will).

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
My guys typicaly don't care to much. One or two of my neighbors tend to do them but were not close enough that its super loud. Sawyer sometimes barked the first day one of our neighbors did them, then the second day when another neighbor did then Sawyer never really reacted. This was Maye's first fourth with us and luckily she didn't seem bothered by them at all. But I do always make sure to keep them leashed in the yard during the 4th weekend especially later in the day when fireworks are more likely to occur just in case.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Had a war zone in my neighborhood until 1am. Pax had the occasional ear perk up but they did not phase him....except one at about midnight that shook the house and he woke up startled and barked...in all fairness, I was also startled as we were both half asleep!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts