Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Banned
275 Posts
My first reaction to the initial post was NO WAY!
BUT, since the people at the place you're going suggested the idea, it might be fine. Definitely get your dog around horses for a bit before going, and practice riding and "ponying" the dog from the horse. Most horses that are used to dogs wouldn't care so long as the dog behaves, and if your dog gets familiar with horses and is trustworthy on the leash, I think it could be pretty fun for the dog.

The only worry I'd have is if the dog sees something ("Squirrel!") and tries to take off, putting you in a pretty tense situation, especially if the dog gets excited and starts barking and possibly spooks your horse. That could be a recipe for disaster. But if you think the dog will behave, I guess why not?

Personally, I'd rather go horseback without the dog, then maybe take the dog for a regular hike another time, but that's because I'd rather relax while riding and just enjoy it without worrying about the dog.

For the record, I have horses, and I don't think I've ever led a dog from any of them. Two of mine wouldn't care, but my youngest horse would probably try to stomp one of the dogs on purpose. He gets irritated if they're loose where i'm riding and they get in our way. Pins his ears and acts like he wants to chase/stomp them. He WILL chase them if he's loose in the pasture and they go in. He's a bit of a rascal.

Anyway, I'd test the dog and your coordination of dealing with riding one animal and leading another out before heading out on a trail ride in a strange place on a strange horse.

· Banned
275 Posts
oh my god. I'm calling this stable tomorrow and figure out what their process is.

So far this thread has me convinced it's a terrible idea. I mean when they first suggested it I was like "omg, that's my dream" but as I imagine the times my dog has behaved unexpectedly since I got him and the times a horse has behaved unexpectedly in my lifetime, I can imagine a ****load of things that can go wrong.
LOL! Yeah, it's something that deserves one of those "How you imagined it would be...." and "How it really is..." memes. The idea of it working out perfectly seems so grand, but the reality of trying to lead a dog that has never been around horses off of a horse that you've never ridden before? Yeah. I'd think dog, horse, and human would all need to be very well trained and practiced in pulling that off in order for it to go well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.