Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

As the title says, how far are you willing to travel for weekly training classes?

I found a club, which offers all the classes that I am interested in, is holding trials and fun/test runs, but... is about 45-1h drive away.

So I'd like to know if you guys compromise or would you go for it?

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
712 Posts
Personally I would do it. I don't mind driving and I know my pup will enjoy it. I'm already driving 45 mins to her obedience classes every week. Sure, driving in traffic SUCKS...but the classes are a great way for us to bond, she gets to socialize with other ppl and dogs, she gets physically and mentally tired out by the end of it so for me, the pros outweigh the cons. :)

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Hmm for me I think if it offered a lot and I really thought it was worth it, I would most likely. I'm personally someone whos not a big driver so for me I tend to like/prefer 20-35 minutes away or 40 minutes max. The training class I took with Sawyer was about 40 minutes from my house and that wasn't to bad and it was only once a week. I also live relatively rural so that's usually how long it takes to get to handful of places anyways.

Either way though if its always nice to find a great place that has all the classes you want. And if your dog(s) and you don't mind the drive then I don't see why not and I think it would be worth it. Maybe it might be worth it to drive down and check out the place in person to see if its really worth it. And you might be able to find a shorter route.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I would do it if the classes and instructors were really good. I used to drive 45 min to work, and it could take even longer if the traffic especially sucked.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
For me it depends on the class. I think for just a normal obedience class I wouldn't be willing to drive too terribly far. For other classes like agility and other dog sports, I would be willing to drive a little bit farther. So, for me I would be willing to drive 15-20 mins for basic obedience classes, but perhaps 40+ for something like agility. That's assuming I'm serious about agility classes (which I'm not). Realistically, I live in such a somewhat large city and it takes about 20 minutes to get anywhere that has basic obedience classes anyway, so I really wouldn't have much of a choice on that front. If I lived in outside of a city, I'd probably be more willing to justify driving a greater distance for any classes at all.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I'm currently driving 2 hours one way to train agility with a woman who views and training methodology aligns with mine.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I am 8 miles from our little town where I practice Agility/Obedience at least 2 or 3 times a week at the indoor arena. I did drive an hour a week for a six week session of Rally practice a couple of years ago but that is the farthest I have driven to any classes.

There has not been any actual Obedience training classes in our area for the past two years and none this year. I have had to make do with taking Bonnie into the arena when the other dogs are practicing so I can get her used to working with other dogs, the same way I did with Kris.

·
Premium Member
11,876 Posts
Yep. Worth it for really great trainers. I regularly travel that far for classes and would go a bit further even. :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your answers!
Yes, it is about dog sports, not obedience. We have a private trainer around here for obedience and behavior, but no one (or club) really close who does a variety of dog sports and also holds run trials and real trials.
There are 2 clubs closer to me that offer some, but (and maybe I'm a bit selective here) from how they answered my phone inquiries and emails, didn't really appear to me.
The other place has a lot of info already online and when I had questions they were fast to give precise and nicely formulated answers (not like: "Everyone else understands it, why don't you?")

Either way though if its always nice to find a great place that has all the classes you want. And if your dog(s) and you don't mind the drive then I don't see why not and I think it would be worth it. Maybe it might be worth it to drive down and check out the place in person to see if its really worth it. And you might be able to find a shorter route.
Sabina, yes, that's a good point and another great thing about this club.

In my inquiry about the class sessions (they have one starting nearly every single week and not only 1 or 2 times a year as the ones closer to me) I was told right away to come by and take a tour of the facility and also watch the training to see if I like it.

I guess I have to bite the bullet, drive there and have a look if it is what I'm looking for :)

(I like driving as well, but more so on the weekend (since I already have my commute daily during the week) and their classes are all during the week.)

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I think its always a good sign in most cases when they encourage you to stop by and observe the training.

Reactions: SusanLynn
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.