Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We want to add a puppy to the family anywhere between 1-3 years (really 1-2, but 3 if we don't have access to a large, fenced in play area by 1-2 lol).

Having a strong connection with our breeder is something that is important to me, but how soon is TOO soon?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I think it totally depends on the breed of dog and quality of the breeder. If it is a harder to find breed, there will be fewer breeders and much longer waiting lists. We are picking up our puppy tomorrow and were on a waiting list since December (shorter than originally anticipated). Some breeders have already closed their lists for 2016. Definitely start your research now, go visit potential breeders, ask for references from previous families who have purchased from them and see how their dogs are, etc. There is nothing wrong with starting your research early and getting on a list. Our breeder says better to get on a list and if you aren't ready when it's your turn, you can "pass" until the next litter, without losing your place in line. That is how we ended up getting a puppy so soon. The current litter is going home tomorrow and it is Spring Break here, so a lot of people have travel plans. Three families decided to pass and wait until the next litter which goes home in July. We got lucky :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
It depends on the breed, but for me I started about 2 years out. It took a lot of time to find a reputable breeder I liked and then wait for the litter. The second time around was better, since I networked through my breeder, so I have only been waiting since December. Puppy comes home next month.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay! So I'm not crazy then lol

I have emailed one breeder directly who I think I like, but she hasn't gotten back to me yet... which is totally understandable, as she had a litter due on the 15th so I'm sure she is hard at work with mom, pups, and people who will be taking home one of the pups now.

I also posted in a few facebook groups.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.