Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone - newbie here.

We are picking up our 8 week old puppy this weekend and I'm finalizing some details. After reading a lot of articles and trying to educate myself on crate training, this is the schedule I came up with. I would love some feedback.

My husband works 2nd shift so he is home until 2:30pm. My 23 yr old daughter and 6 yr old gets home about 4:30pm. So the longest the puppy will be alone is about 2 hour gap, from 2:30-4:30pm.

Do you think 'potty time' is a little too excessive? I have it scheduled about every hour to every 2 hours. Is my crating time too excessive?

Please let me know if there's anything I am missing.

Thank you!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Some puppies may need to toilet more frequently than 2 hours, so watch out for signs of needing to go - sniffing the floor, circling, whining.

Is the puppy crate trained? If not, it will need to learn that the crate is a good place, rather than being shut in it and left.

Good luck with your puppy, relax, don't follow any schedule rigidly, be prepared to adjust your lifestyle. And don't get stressed about any mishaps or setbacks. Mistakes will happen, the puppy will make them and so will you. If you learn from them you are likely to finish up with a happy dog.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I realized I didn't even post up my schedule. Oops.

7:00 AM Get up. Potty break. Playtime.
7:30 AM Breakfast. Potty break.
8:15 AM Potty break. Crate time.
9:30 AM Potty break. Playtime/walk/etc.
10:00 AM Potty break. Crate.
11:30 AM Potty break. Playtime. Crate.
12:00 PM Lunch. Potty break. Playtime.
1:00 PM Potty break. Crate.
2:30 PM Potty break. Crate.
4:30 PM Potty break. Play time. Crate.
5:30 PM Dinner. Potty break. Playtime.
7:00 PM Potty break. Playtime/walk/etc.
9:00 PM Potty break. Bedtime. Crate.
12:00 AM Potty break. Crate.
3:00 AM Potty Break. Crate.

Anyhow, we picked up the puppy on Saturday. So far, it's been challenging. I need to read a few of the posts on here to get tips.

The biggest concern, our puppy is not peeing/pooping outside. We take her out often and stay out long enough but she only wants to play and run around outside, she does not pee/poo. On a few occasions, the minute we get inside...she'll pee/poo. :(

·
Registered
347 Posts
Schedule seems fine. Just don't get stuck on adhering to a rigid schedule. The more you get to know your pup and their habits the better you'll be able to create a schedule that works for you both.

When you take the pup out to potty, they should be on a leash, take them right to the spot where you want them to go and wait there for 10 mins or so. Let the pup sniff around if they want and explore to the end of the leash. If they don't go pee or poo, go back inside but don't give them an opportunity to pee inside, pick them up once you get in the door if needed. Park them in the crate for 10 - 15 mins and then try again. Keep doing this till the go outside then have a big praise party, treats and pets and happiness. Then you can reward them inside or outside with a little play time / training session.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Schedule seems fine. Just don't get stuck on adhering to a rigid schedule. The more you get to know your pup and their habits the better you'll be able to create a schedule that works for you both.

When you take the pup out to potty, they should be on a leash, take them right to the spot where you want them to go and wait there for 10 mins or so. Let the pup sniff around if they want and explore to the end of the leash. If they don't go pee or poo, go back inside but don't give them an opportunity to pee inside, pick them up once you get in the door if needed. Park them in the crate for 10 - 15 mins and then try again. Keep doing this till the go outside then have a big praise party, treats and pets and happiness. Then you can reward them inside or outside with a little play time / training session.
THIS is super helpful!

We have not leashed her when we take out out to the yard. So that is probably why she is not pee/pooing and only wants to run around and play. My 6 yr old almost always goes out with the puppy so they run around and chase each other. I'm sure that's a huge distraction. Why didn't I realize this sooner?

My 23 yr old daughter and 6 yr old took her on a short walk yesterday (on a leash) and the puppy pee/poo right away. So the leash makes sense now that I think about it.

Puppy is so tiny, only 8 weeks old and like 2-3 lbs, I didn't think about leashing her when taking her to the yard.

·
Registered
347 Posts
THIS is super helpful!

We have not leashed her when we take out out to the yard. So that is probably why she is not pee/pooing and only wants to run around and play. My 6 yr old almost always goes out with the puppy so they run around and chase each other. I'm sure that's a huge distraction. Why didn't I realize this sooner?

My 23 yr old daughter and 6 yr old took her on a short walk yesterday (on a leash) and the puppy pee/poo right away. So the leash makes sense now that I think about it.

Puppy is so tiny, only 8 weeks old and like 2-3 lbs, I didn't think about leashing her when taking her to the yard.
Yeah, it's mostly just too keep the pup confined to a certain area so there are less distractions. After she goes potty having her run around and play with your kid is great!

Also just a note, until your pup has all her shots be cautious with walks. Try not to let her eat anything off the ground, stay away from high dog traffic areas, and don't let her interact with dogs that aren't up to date on their shots.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, it's mostly just too keep the pup confined to a certain area so there are less distractions. After she goes potty having her run around and play with your kid is great!

Also just a note, until your pup has all her shots be cautious with walks. Try not to let her eat anything off the ground, stay away from high dog traffic areas, and don't let her interact with dogs that aren't up to date on their shots.
Will definitely leash her while taking her out.

I hear you regarding walks. We don't plan on any doggy parks or parks until we get all her shots. The girls took her on a short walk up and down the block for the first time yesterday.

This is Luna (or Princess Luna as my 6 yr old calls her). She is a bichon/poodle. She is the sweetest.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Will definitely leash her while taking her out.

I hear you regarding walks. We don't plan on any doggy parks or parks until we get all her shots. The girls took her on a short walk up and down the block for the first time yesterday.

This is Luna (or Princess Luna as my 6 yr old calls her). She is a bichon/poodle. She is the sweetest.
Super cute!

Just wanted to give you a heads up about the walks because some people don't know any better. You seem pretty informed though. :)

When I got my pup at 8 weeks I would take him on quick 5 min walks in my neighborhood.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts