Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gave my 4 months old puppy an anthelmintic for deworming about 5 days ago. However today, my dog is sick. Since last night she started not to eat. Early morning today, she started vomiting and I saw tapeworms on her vomit or poop. Her poop isn't normal and looks like vomit too. I'm worried she won't survive so I'm gonna have to take her to the vet. What I wanted to know is if this is normal when deworming? She hasn't eaten for more than 24 hours so I started feeding her with broth (chicken, carrots, garlic). I also make sure that she stays hydrated by giving her water every 3 hours. Am I doing it right? I'm a real amateur with dogs. I used to have one but that was when I was just a kid and that was more than a decade ago. Any advice?

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Garlic is absolutely fine in small amounts. Toxicity is always dose dependent. Garlic in broth would NOT be my concern here at all.

Anyway, I would definitely go to the vet because my main concern would be parvo. Has your puppy been vaccinated? Which vaccines? When and where did you get it from? What age? Was it done by a vet, shelter, at home?

This COULD be from the wormer, but it seems like quite an exaggerated response. Wormers are poison....That's how they work. So it's not uncommon for pups to get a bit sick. If there's a heavy infestation, you will see roundworm come out in the feces, and it may cause diarrhea and make them not feel well. But this shouldn't last super long and generally does not cause that much of a depressed appetite.

For the future, I would strongly suggest getting wormers only from your veterinarian, and having your puppies poop tested for worms first. If there are no worms, then there's no reason to give a dose. And not all wormers treat all worms. Most common ones do not treat tapeworm at all. Tapes require a different pill. They also do not treat single celled parasitic organisms like giardia and coccidia. These also require a different medication. You don't usually see actually tapeworms either, so it's possible what you saw were roundworms. Tapeworms usually show up like little grains of rice or sesame seeds in the poop or around the anus.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Garlic is absolutely fine in small amounts. Toxicity is always dose dependent. Garlic in broth would NOT be my concern here at all.
I was unclear, I meant I'd take her in asap because puppies with vomiting and diarrhea can lead to critical dehydration. Also even small amounts of garlic result in some haemolytic anaemia which is important in a dehydrated puppy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts