Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone:)

I am just curious about what your expectations are on the behaviour of you dog on leash. Does he/ she have to be right next to you? Can he/she be in front of you but not pulling? How long is your leash? Does the dog have to be on one particular side of your body?
Do you have different types of walking for different situations, e.g. park, street, crowded street, etc? and how do you indicate your varying expectations to your dog?
Do you allow your dog to stop and smell when he likes to or do you expect him to always follow at your speed?

I am very interested in everyone's opinions :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
On streets and paths Asha is on a standard length lead (about 120 cm), she is allowed to walk where ever as long as she isn't pulling, she occasionally pulls if she gets a bit excited about a certain smell. She likes to sniff things and I let her, we could walk for hours but she doesn't enjoy it if she doesn't get to sniff and pee on things.

In fields and parks I put her on a 5 meter lead so she can run around and sniff things a bit more freely. Asha just seems to know the difference of leash length she gets in different situations.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Cosmo knows "walk with me" (usually, sometimes he pretends like he doesn't know - especially when we are walking other dogs and they're ahead of him) and I let him go ahead as long as he isn't yanking me around. We are still in progress with proper heel which he refuses to fully follow! Also want to integrate a sit when I stop automatically

·
Registered
165 Posts
We have two leashes. On her "regular walk" leash she can be anywhere as long as she doesn't pull. I generally let her stop to sniff unless we're in a rush and then I just say "let's go" and she'll continue with me. She can generally sense whether stopping is acceptable based on how quickly I'm walking.

On her "running" leash (which is only used for when we go running together) she knows to stay on my right side and stay next to me.

I didn't really actively teach her leash manners, she just sort of figured it out! She's only pulled twice and both times I just stopped walking until she stopped -- never did it after that!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
In the streets walking to our 'walk' he is either on a regular flat collar and regular lead or off lead. We live in a quiet residential area with little to no cars. When on the lead I like him to walk to heel purely for practice since he is never really on lead.

Once we get to the park he is free to do as he chooses, it's a big grassy field with football pitches and he can just run around and explore. After the park we come to a touristy spot so I'll put him on the leash depending on the time of year, in the winter I can just leave him off then we head up a hill to the woods then onto a historical Roman site where he can run until his hearts content :)

·
Banned
45 Posts
Hello everyone:)

I am just curious about what your expectations are on the behaviour of you dog on leash. Does he/ she have to be right next to you? Can he/she be in front of you but not pulling? How long is your leash? Does the dog have to be on one particular side of your body?
Do you have different types of walking for different situations, e.g. park, street, crowded street, etc? and how do you indicate your varying expectations to your dog?
Do you allow your dog to stop and smell when he likes to or do you expect him to always follow at your speed?

I am very interested in everyone's opinions :)
I run my dog on trails, I walk (hike) from 1 to 10 miles, and my dog runs from 5 to 50 or more miles while I and or my husband hike and photograph nature. If I tell her to heel, she returns to my left side and will stay so close to me that we touch sometimes, often I scratch her neck with my free hand as no leash is needed. The under 5 percent of the time she is on a leash, she is still at my left side, and never pulls, because she respects me, for not for putting her on the leash, but for letting her be free 95 percent of the time. Not everyone likes this, or believes it, but I get complements almost every time we are out.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Sanchos walk-rules:
when on leash: no pulling, no accosting other dogs, match your speed to my speed, ignore your surroundings.
when off leash: you can do whatever you like, as long as you listen to the commands (abort signal, recall, stay close signal)I'm giving you.

·
Banned
45 Posts
Sanchos walk-rules:
when on leash: no pulling, no accosting other dogs, match your speed to my speed, ignore your surroundings.
when off leash: you can do whatever you like, as long as you listen to the commands (abort signal, recall, stay close signal)I'm giving you.
Mathilda, thank you for letting your dog off leash, who among us would like to be chained for our entire lives. Yes if you are dog and on a leash, you are chained to a master. Freedom is the best gift for us all.

·
Registered
151 Posts
We're still practicing loose-leash walking, so Roscoe has to do a certain amount of practice on every walk, and we have commands for right side and left side. When we're at parks, I pretty much let him walk and sniff to his heart's content as long as he's not acting like a butt and pulling. He's still a puppy and his recall sucks, so off leash is not an option at this point unless we're at the dog park where he's fenced in, but eventually I hope to be able to walk him off leash for hikes.

My favorite leash is a 6' leash. I like that he has some leeway to explore, but I shorten his lead as needed.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I walk on a 6 foot lead but it is almost always shortened. I expect Chester to walk on my left in a heel position with a loose leash. If he is moving to far ahead I simply turn around and walk a few paces until his attention is redirected on me. When we walk past people and other dogs I give "watch" command which means look at me so that he doesn't pull toward them. 《We are still working on this but he's making great progress. Other commands I use when walking is "leave it" and "let's go." I live in an area with no leash laws so when I get to trails or parks I let him off because his recall is pretty reliable.

I always take a clicker and treats with me. I feel walks go very smoothly when those two things are present.

·
Banned
45 Posts
We're still practicing loose-leash walking, so Roscoe has to do a certain amount of practice on every walk, and we have commands for right side and left side. When we're at parks, I pretty much let him walk and sniff to his heart's content as long as he's not acting like a butt and pulling. He's still a puppy and his recall sucks, so off leash is not an option at this point unless we're at the dog park where he's fenced in, but eventually I hope to be able to walk him off leash for hikes.

My favorite leash is a 6' leash. I like that he has some leeway to explore, but I shorten his lead as needed.
Try letting Roscoe off leash, and then hiding on him, this will get him to watch and follow you, because he really wants to be safe and with you.....

·
Registered
502 Posts
My dogs are to stay at my side, no pulling, no stopping and sniffing. They aren't allowed to acknowledge other animals unless given permission. They aren't on a leash much though, we live on a farm and they run loose as long as they keep their ears turned on.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Try letting Roscoe off leash, and then hiding on him, this will get him to watch and follow you, because he really wants to be safe and with you.....
I think letting a dog run around of leash in public before having a reliable recall can be very dangerous.
so is hiding from your dog, when you don't know how it will react. not every puppy is so people centric that it will actually actively search for their owner and not go on their own adventure.
please train leash training at a safe place and with the leash on.
good off-leash behaviour, in my opinion, won't automatically teach you're dog on-leash behaviour.
the dog needs to get used to the leash.
I think @gngracieis already on the right track. :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Kheops walks next to me unless I tell him to go sniff. I can't let him off lead in an open area, otherwise it will be "oooh squirrel" and off he goes.
Ursa on the other hand walks next or slightly behind me, and sometimes even lags which we are working on to fix. I can let her walk off lead in rural areas and then she walks away a bit further, but she usually sticks around.
I usually carry treats with me, so both dogs are happy to stick by my side.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I normally walk Sawyer on a 4 foot leash. Im not to picky about where he walks or what side, as long as he's not pulling im fine. I do like to have him sit when a car passes, especially because were I live we don't have any sidewalks. 99% of the time we don't see other people or dogs when we go for walks, so I don't really have any rules for him regarding people. Though when we do run across them, I would prefer him to ignore the dogs, and just not react to the people. The latter where still working on.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Alva walks either in a wide leather martingale and 2 m (6 ft) leather leash or in a harness and a retractable.

Alva usually walks in front of me or beside me. Sometimes she wants to walk behind me. I don't really care where if she follows these rules:
- no sailing from one side of the way to another
- loose leash (well, she may pull towards something interesting like another dog, not really desirable, but I have been too lazy to get rid of it)
- no tangling (she is quite good at avoiding these)

Alva is social and wants to meet every dog we see. Not always possible though. Humans she ignores unless they are familiar, carry food, or seek contact with her. She can be petted, maybe even enjoys it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am trying to teach Riloue to be right by my left side, not in front of me He usually doesn't pull, we got that sorted, but he wants to stay behind and smell something, we are working on that. Once we are at the park he can go in front or lag behind and i'll stop if he sniffs.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Mathilda, thank you for letting your dog off leash, who among us would like to be chained for our entire lives. Yes if you are dog and on a leash, you are chained to a master. Freedom is the best gift for us all.
That is a rather ridiculous way of putting it. My dog has to be on a leash in a unsecured area. He has a extreme prey drive, and unless I am in a well fenced area, he is leashed. This is to keep him, other dogs, wildlife, and the general public safe.
My mal on the other hand can be let off lead. However, she never leaves my side so I usually leave her leashed. There are a lot of dog owners in the area, and it is polite to keep your dog leashed near other dogs and their owners.
Sure, your dog may be "chained" but it is for their own safety.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have no choice but to use a leash for walks where I live because of leash laws. I have several lengths of leash depending on what we are doing, for some areas I have Oscar on a 50ft long line. I also have a 12ft leash with I can double up and turn into a 6ft one. But I mostly use an 8ft leather training/police lead which I shorten or put over my shoulder to go hands-free.

Generally I like him to walk next to me in a heal to my left at all time on streets (we live is a very quiet neighborhood though). If I have the full length of the lead available, he might walk ahead a bit, but I will call him back to me if the lead is getting too stretched out. When we are walking on paths or around a nearby lake, I do allow him more latitude to go ahead and to sniff, but usually he is content to walk by my side.

It has taken many years to get him trained to walk without pulling, and as he is a 200 lb dog, I really can't let him pull at all, it's not like I am walking a Yorkie on a flexi leash.

I think the most fool-proof way to get a good loose-leash walk is not by any of the methods recommended by most trainers, but by developing a deep bond or respect between dog and handler, so that the dog is compelled via prey drive to focus on you, this drive overrides instinct and is far more powerful. This can be achieved through exercises and training that has nothing to do with loose leash walking training. At least that has been my experience with my reformed puller.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Off leash: Don't go to far. Never out of sight. Come back when called. Don't approach people. Never step of the sidewalk without explicit permission. Don't eat poop,

On leash: Don't pull (unless you need to go to the bathroom). Don't lag. Pick a side, change if you want every once in a while but don't be be excessive or you're going to stay on what ever side I wan't you. Never stop of the sidewalk without explict permission. Don't eat poop.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.