Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
No way, lots of dogs can do amazing tricks (just check out Kikopup, she has a terrier, a half-blind Chihuahua, Greyhound etc.)!

I love Nana, but I always get nervous of people seeing these amazing dogs, and deciding "I want a Border Collie, look at all the cool tricks you can teach them!"

I think a lot of these are probably done by shaping/capturing, maybe some luring. I've subscribed to Kikopup's membership, which gives 52 tutorials (one a week) and there are SO many awesome tricks.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I grew up with herding type dogs and they're my favorite haha

I've been nervous about buying memberships, I'd be much more inclined for real life training classes (if that makes sense) but I can't seem to find a training facility that offers just a trick training class.

·
Premium Member
11,876 Posts
Ditto that there are many different types of dogs out there that can do tricks like these. My Dexter (likely terrier x poodle or something along those lines) knows many of those tricks and plenty not shown. :)

I use primarily shaping and targeting. Some capturing. I will use luring as well just not normally my go to.

Maybe look around for freestyle or Rally FrEe classes. That's how we got started with trick training.

·
Registered
89 Posts
@Shandula, how are you liking kikopup's membership? What sort of videos? Our puppy classes end in 2 weeks and the next level up is agility, which we (and the pup) aren't really interested in. But I do want to keep teaching my dog tricks, especially because she is quite brainy, but I find I do better when I have some sort of structure (book or videos) to follow

·
Registered
499 Posts
If you like to combine tricks and trials, you might be interested in rally obedience (or some variation of it like rally free) or dog dancing (canine freestyle and heelwork to music).

My rough collie knows some tricks but I did not follow any courses or tutorials in teaching them. I like to think a way to teach them on my own but taking classes would be good for my motivation and scheduling for I am not interested in organising things.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
I think some of those are also taught by breaking the trick down into steps. Like when I taught Zody to scratch the ground the first step was to hide a treat under a dish towel and hold it down so that the pawed at it to try and get the treat. When he pawed at it I'd click and uncover the treat. Then I added a hand signal to it and stopped putting the treat under the towel, but would click and treat when he scratched at the towel. Next step was to only click and treat when he scratched at the ground after I gave the hand signal and didn't have the towel on the ground.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
a lot of dog breeds can do that...some of the physical tricks (like walking on their front paws or jumping on your feet) can get a bit more difficult when your dog is heavier and bigger though.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
There are actually tutorials for a lot of these tricks on YouTube - you should definitely try it out and see how he does!

@Maiabean - I seriously love it. Each week she releases a video that's either a Trick tutorial, proofing exercise, focus game, or body awareness which is all awesome stuff. There is a video, detailed written description, troubleshooting, and a more advanced version if your dog already knows is/gets it quickly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.