Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I saw some videos of pit bulls attacking other dogs while on the loose and of one pit bull attacking an animal control officer after the owner commanded the dog to (that lady was infuriating).

So the question is...what is the proper way to stop a dog fight or attack? In one video the pit bull wouldn't let go of the other pit bull and so someone lifted him up and kept pulling while the other dog was bleeding and being held in a noose thing. In the animal control officer attack, some neighbor came and hit the dog with a stick, and in a pit bull attack on a golden retriever, the people were trying to use a chair to get between the two dogs. That wasn't very effective since both dogs were loose and running around.

I am not planning on getting any breed that I wouldn't be able to handle or train properly, but I think that there are a lot of irresponsible dog owners out there and so I'd like to know how to stop attacks/fights should I ever have to encounter one.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Grab the dog that is attacking (or get som'one to help you if they both are really going at at) by the back legs and walk backwards in a circle.

The dog will be unable to bite you as long as you keep moving and they are ussually so disoriented by this that they stop aggressing imediately.

I've used this many times (mostly at dog parks after people screaming and hiting their dogs failed) and once at a party at a house when the resident dogs went at it. It worked 100% of the times I tried it and the fight stop within a half second of me pulling on the dog.

It you really don't want to grab the dog the next best bet is throwing water on the fight or a hose. Never yell or hit, it just makes the dogs more arroused.

with pitbull there is som'thing called a 'break stick" which is a small wooden stick that actually pries the dogs jaw open, a lot of pit bull owners have them "just in case".

hope that answeres you questions! :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I have had to break up a dog fight between two bull mastiffs...lifting the back legs was not an option for my tiny body, i grabbed a nearby lawn chair and slammed it on the ground next to them, they freaked let go and ran separate ways....sometimes you have to resort to loud noise, water throwing sometimes works (it did not work with these mastiffs) but definitely recommend grabbing the back legs if you feel comfy enough, it is the best resort.

·
Banned
557 Posts
Grab the dog that is attacking (or get som'one to help you if they both are really going at at) by the back legs and walk backwards in a circle.

The dog will be unable to bite you as long as you keep moving and they are ussually so disoriented by this that they stop aggressing imediately.

I've used this many times (mostly at dog parks after people screaming and hiting their dogs failed) and once at a party at a house when the resident dogs went at it. It worked 100% of the times I tried it and the fight stop within a half second of me pulling on the dog.

It you really don't want to grab the dog the next best bet is throwing water on the fight or a hose. Never yell or hit, it just makes the dogs more arroused.

with pitbull there is som'thing called a 'break stick" which is a small wooden stick that actually pries the dogs jaw open, a lot of pit bull owners have them "just in case".

You are positively correct!

·
Registered
155 Posts

I had to use this method today at the shelter. Worked like a charm and probably saved a dog's life. Soooo glad I read this a few days ago!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah Major's a boxer/pit mix, about 70lbs of dog and a lesser intelligent volunteer decided to let an aggressive 8lb dog into the play pen with him. Needless to say, the smaller dog got a bit of a death shake before I grabbed Major's legs.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Yeah Major's a boxer/pit mix, about 70lbs of dog and a lesser intelligent volunteer decided to let an aggressive 8lb dog into the play pen with him. Needless to say, the smaller dog got a bit of a death shake before I grabbed Major's legs.
70lbs v 8lbs!!?:eek: Wow I am surprised you were able to save him! Good for you! :rockon:

We think Kimber is a Boxer/pit mix...I wonder if he is going to get that big.

·
Registered
155 Posts
70lbs v 8lbs!!?:eek: Wow I am surprised you were able to save him! Good for you! :rockon:

We think Kimber is a Boxer/pit mix...I wonder if he is going to get that big.
We think that's what he is, he's a really strange looking dog.
Adopt a Boxer: Major: Petfinder
that's him as a puppy in the beginning of summer. He's being adopted on Tuesday :D

He grabbed the dog by it's lower back, thankfully, instead of the neck.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
He is a cutie, but he doesn't look much like Kimber. Glad he is finding a home.

Do you know why he went after the other dog?

·
Registered
155 Posts
He is a cutie, but he doesn't look much like Kimber. Glad he is finding a home.

Do you know why he went after the other dog?
The smaller dog was the aggressor for sure. Major's always gotten along really well with other dogs. The girl that had the small dog on a leash brought it up to the fence and it started growling and baring it's teeth. I told her not to bring the dog in and within 5 minutes, she opens the gate. Both Major and the other dog in the pen went out of the gate and he latched on to the smaller dog. Pretty stressful way to start my day, haha.

·
Registered
155 Posts
hes cute....I see lab tho ;)

its a shame dogs have no concept of size.
His coat is kind of medium and it's really soft too, he's a really confusing mix. I almost cried when I told him bye today. Looove that dog. I so need visitation rights. :p The small dog was dropped off last night so we don't know 'it' yet. I don't even know if it's male or female. When we tried to check it for injuries it bit one of the staff. :(

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Ha I've seen that video the orignal poster is talking about! I was furious for a long time after-the owner was actually commanding the dog to bite the officer!!

So glad that tip worked for you! Crio that leg pull is a really good tip! Poor little pup-those little guys totally have 'small man syndrome' -no concept of size, and want to pick on the big guys.
Course a lot of that is owners who don't do ANY training with thme because they put them in purses and they are toys not dogs... :(

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
We have 2 JRTs that live a few house down from us. When we walked Kelsey they would come running up the street barking and nipping at her face. Where were the owners? Not a clue! It got to the point where when it was time to walk Kelsey when we got outside they were waiting for us in our front yard!!! So unlike us to complain but my husband finally went over and talked to them. They have been much more careful since. I think they thought since they had small dogs it was okay to let them run free. Who knows?

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I think...as a small dog owner...that many other small dog owners do alot of stupid things, and are just asking for som'thing bad to happen. You hear about it all the time...small dog gets shaken to death because it was allowed to run loose and get in another dogs face.

Either way Iam so careful.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts